Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ksor
Punch Card
Views: 160
Message 1 of 4

T42 and some network traffic ????

I have a pair of these old machines and I have used  Lenovo SYSTEM UPDATE to get them up and running from scratch with Windows Xp SP3 fully updated. I have some old ThinckCentre's too set up likewise.

I can see ethernet network activiy EVERY SEOND is send 36 and revieved 30 packeges - the netwok icon in the systray is showing CONSTANT activity and status shows what's going on !

What is this traffic and how can I stop it ?

Guru
Views: 149
Message 2 of 4

Betreff: T42 and some network traffic ????

System Update, Message Center, Java, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Windows Update and more programs are looking for Updates as well as Firefox.

Network Service broadcasts for other computers and many more.

To prevent any traffic disconnect the network connection Smiley Wink

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Coffee must be like women's eyes: deep black & shiny. ThinkPads have to be like men's feet: deep black & matte!
ksor
Punch Card
Views: 143
Message 3 of 4

Betreff: T42 and some network traffic ????

No, no it's not that complicated ...

I have one of the ThinkCenters where I haven't used Lenovo SYSTEM UPDATE and ThinkVantage (and Windows Update ect. ect.is running there too) and on that particulat pc there is NO traffic and NOT STEADY EVERY SECOND - of cause there is traffic if I use the network, but NO STEADY EVERY SECOND TRAFFIC !

So I think it's something the Lenovo SYSTEM UPDATE or ThinkVantage is doing !

I have tried to "kill" one process at a time until the pc "breakes down" without finding tha cause.

Normaly you DON'T see the network icon in the system tray CONSTANTLY SHOWING activity when no one is working on the machine - but here it light up CONSTANTLY and the status shows EVERY SECOND recieving 30 and sending 36 packeges - what is this traffic and how can I stop it ?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 133
Message 4 of 4

Re: T42 and some network traffic ????

Hello,

You could try installing a packet capture program like Wireshark on a computer and use the software to create a log of all the network traffic.  At the very least, it will let you see the source and destination addresses of the network traffic.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals