Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
consultant772
Paper Tape
Views: 1,205
Message 1 of 8

T43: Many problems harddrive, driver...

Do yourself a favor do not buy anything Lenovo.

I am a fan of the pointer mouse and of IBM so I bought a ThinkPad T43. I decided to pay about $500 dollars more for the Lenovo laptop / chasis than for a Gateway, Dell, etc., with the same features. For the first year and a half it was a great experience with the machine until:

1. First problem, software problem after installing update from the Lenovo website. I do an update from the Lenovo website for the machine and then no network connectivity.

1. Contacted support and issue was not fixed with them.

2. Solved it myself by re-installing the NIC/Wireless drivers.

3. Result: My confidence on the Lenovo update site went down for sure.

4. Down time: 1 day.

2. I was using the machine, shut it down and next time I boot, it can not find the hard drive.

1. Call support, I tell them this has to be a hardware issue, etc. Finally after some time convincing them, they decide to send me a box to send the laptop.

2. I send the laptop and asked that if they re-install the hard drive to use XP pro. The machine originally shipped with XP Home but I bought XP pro and upgraded to it.

3. Lenovo ships back the machine with XP Home, they argue a licensing agreement with Microsoft. I am not happy but well. Anyhow the machine arrives with XP Home but I have to do all the MS Updates etc., since I originally bought it until when I receive it. 2 years of sevice packs and all the MS Windows and Lenovo updates!

4. Instead of doing the XP Home updates, I reinstall XP pro and do the updates for those. It took me over 6 hours to do the updates until with the last update from the Lenovo Website I end up not being able to login to the machine. It took 2 phone calls to support and about 3 hours to fix the issue. Support was below average: between being on hold, talking to them and insisting that there should be a way to disable the login screen problem I was having (they wanted me to re-install the OS and software and of course I said no to that, since everything was new). Of course I decided to not install again or do an update on the Lenovo fingerprint software.

5. The issue with my machine was denoted as system board planar.

6. Down Time: 10 days

3. A month or so goes by and I have the same problem of not booting and a message that the hard drive can not be found.

1. I call Lenovo and tell them to send me a box because I have the same problem. They insist the problem is my hard drive and they send me a hard drive. I change the hard drive and when I try to install the OS I get the same issue. I am definitely unhappy since I have now lost 3 days and I call them again to ship the machine to them.

2. Send them the machine, they fix it sent it back to me. The problem was again the system board planar.

3. By the way when they sent the hard drive they separately sent install disks which they send to an old address on file not the one I tell them to.

4. Down Time: 12 days.

4. 4 months later I have the same problem! 3rd time in 6 months. I call them ask for the box. I tried trouble shooting for like 10 minutes on the phone, when the rep wants to trouble shoot more I insist please just send me the box.

1. I get the box and tell Lenovo to schedule the pickup.

2. The day I get the box I am flying to a consulting job for about 8 days. Since the pickup does not come I drop it off at a UPS store on my way to the airport.

3. The next day I get a call from an old roommate saying UPS showed up to pick up my package!

4. I specifically ask to be contacted when my machine is ready, before they ship it back since if it is ready on time I rather have it (because I need it for work) during my consulting trip.

5. Lenovo does not care about the special instructions on shipping the laptop back to me and ship it back to my home address.

6. The machine is fixed and working. The problem again is the system board planar.

7. Down time: 11 days.

By the way I have tried to escalate the issue to a manager or someone who will hear my concerns regarding the bad service and quality of the hardware but I am giving up on that since I have made countless calls, etc., with no results.

As you can see after 34 days of down time and having the same problem in 6 months and no sympathy from support or being able to talk to someone who can make decisions I wish I had never but this laptop.

title adjusted: problem should clear be stated there, emotion here.

Message Edited by Agotthelf on 04-04-2009 09:05 AM
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,188
Message 2 of 8

T43: Many problems harddrive, driver...

T43 is not produced by Lenovo, but rather IBM.

Microsoft dedicates the term under which the OEM laptop producer must adhere to regarding installing OEM microsoft os, all aftermarket os is the responsibility of the end users and not the laptop producer. Dell or another reputable computer producers can't do much about it either.

I have never heard a T43 that have a repeat planar board failure like that.

title adjusted.

Message Edited by Agotthelf on 04-04-2009 09:02 AM
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
consultant772
Paper Tape
Views: 1,160
Message 3 of 8

Re: T43: Many problems harddrive, driver...

Well Lenovo bought IBM and when I bought the Laptop I bought it from Lenovo and it has some

Lenovo branded parts so they are the responsible ones.

Now you have heard of a T43 that has failed repeteadly for the planar board issue and Lenovo 

support has done nothing when I try to discuss this with them.

The OEM / Microsoft is not the issue in the post. The issues are:

1. Bad quality of the hardware.

2. Bad handling of the issue by Lenovo.

So next time I will buy a Mac or a Gateway (if I really need Windows). The same thing is what 

I am telling my friends, family and clients.

Views: 1,156
Message 4 of 8

What you buy is your personal choice, no one can force you to do otherwise. When you buy your Mac remember that phone support is only free for the first 3 months of purchase. Gateway, i never used this brand of machine before, as it is mainly focused on US markets. 
Regards,

Jin Li

consultant772
Paper Tape
Views: 1,152
Message 5 of 8

I am not even talking about free support here. Every time I buy a machine I buy the extended

warranty / support and they all cost about the same. It is what I have with Lenovo and 

what I would buy with any company. 

That is why it is such a disappointment to have paid so many extra dollars for what was 

supposed to be a tough laptop and have it fail so many times. The worst part is the 

horrible customer service.  They have lost much more than one customer with me.

In 25 years of using computers and then working with them for a living this is the worst, 

experience ever.  Almost like a nightmare!

Views: 1,144
Message 6 of 8

Maybe you should have gone with Onsite warranty, luck is not just not on your side. 

Regards,

Jin Li

consultant772
Paper Tape
Views: 1,140
Message 7 of 8

You are right, on site warranty would have been the best.

If Lenovo was more serious or customer centered they would have already

offered to give at least the on site warranty for free or exchange my machine 

or do something about it.

Views: 1,110
Message 8 of 8

I don't think there is any spare T43 for exchange, it is an old machine.
Regards,

Jin Li

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors