Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dad_skis
Paper Tape
Views: 2,185
Message 1 of 19

T43 still can't clone hard disk and boot

I have a T43, 1871-WKL, with a 60G HD.  I purchased a 160G Samsung HM160HC as an upgrade.  I cannot get the system to clone and boot the new drive.

I hook up the new Samsung drive with a Sabrent USB to IDE cable and the drive works fine.  I can use it for storage with no problem.  Doing a full format with verify works like a champ.

First I tried Acronis TrueImage 10.0.  It tells me the target media has write errors about 4% into the clone.

So I tried Clonezilla.  It works fine, either as the same size or expanding.  I and see the drive and copy stuff on and off the drive no problem.  

However, when I insert the drive into the carrier for the internal drive and try to boot from it, it hangs with a blank screen and blinking cursor. 

I was TOLD that it MAY be due to the fact I have no R&R on my drive.  So I download the R&R software and installed in on the original drive and cloned it.  Again, it won't boot.  I even tried booting the R&R rescue CD.  It will boot the CD with the ORIGINAL drive in the laptop, but the CD Boot hangs if I have the new drive in the laptop.  

I tried it with the Acronis rescue disk as well, even though I didn't have an Acronis clone of the drive.

I must have swapped out the drive over a dozen times, and I getting tired of wearing out the mounting screws.  Any ideas?

Mike

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 2,183
Message 2 of 19

Re: T43 still can't clone hard disk and boot

Mike, welcome to the forum,

you need to firstly create an Acronis rescue disc and then reverse clone. Install the new drive as primary in your T43 and your original drive in the USB caddy / USB -> IDE cable and then simply clone the drive.

Please see the following article in the forum Knowledgebase; Cloning Hard Drive Including The Predesktop Area With Acronis

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

dad_skis
Paper Tape
Views: 2,181
Message 3 of 19

I'm 99.99% sure I tried that, no luck.

I installed Acronis 10.0 onto my drive, and then created the Acronis recovery disk.  (Hmm, I did not create a NEW rescue disk.  I had installed Acronis and when the backup failed I uninstalled it.  My rescue disk was made from the FIRST time I installed Acronis, not the second time I installed it.  It was also made when my BIOS said normal for the PreDesktop area, but there was no PreDesktop partition.  How should I handle that?)

The Acronis recovery disk WILL NOT BOOT unless it sees the ORIGINAL HD in the drive C boot tray.  If I put the original drive on the USB cable and the new blank drive in drive C, the Acronis recovery CD just hangs on a potential boot. 

But I will try it again tonight to make sure...  I will 'wipe' the new drive to make sure it's blank and then install Acronis on the existing drive and then create a rescue disk, do the swap, and try to boot it.

Does it matter how I set the BIOS for the PreDesktop area?  As far as I know, I have none.  I installed R&R, but did not yet create an area.  

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 2,177
Message 4 of 19

If you don't have the hidden partition then those steps are, in your case, irrelevant.  It may be however that you do have one, it's not visible under windows or Acronis until you change the setting in BIOS.

The method I described in the article has never failed me, my conservative guess would be that I've cloned around 200 drives from T4, R4 and X4 systems as they were current.  Please ensure you set the optical drive as first boot device in BIOS, otherwise it will spend an age and a day trying to boot from the original drive attached by USB.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

PoPSiCLe
Greps Everything
Views: 2,169
Message 5 of 19

My recommendation would be to ditch the somewhat crappy Acronis TrueImage and try out one of Paragon Software's solutions.

Drive Copy 11 Professional or Paragon Migrate OS to SSD 2.0 should both work (you can use them with full functionality even as a trial).

I used the disk copy (ver. 10) to migrate my disk from a T61 to first a new SATA HD with a larger capacity, then from that to a new SSD. Original 80GB drive -> 320GB SATA HD -> 120 GB SSD. No problems, I cloned the drive from within the computer to an external USB-enclosure, and it worked flawlessly each time, even with the resizing of the partitions, and the keeping of the original recovery partition.

I've never really understood the whole "you need to clone it externally"-crap - there are NO REASON why that should be necessary, unless you 1. have security functionality in place, which prevents certain system files to be cloned, or 2. the cloning software doesn't do the job correctly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IT-technician, running my own company in Bergen, Norway
Thinkpad T61, 8895CTO C2D 2Ghz/4GB/120GB SSD/1400x1050
dad_skis
Paper Tape
Views: 2,166
Message 6 of 19

Well, it APPEARS to be working.  At least, I'm getting further along than I've ever gotten before.

The key was you said make sure both drives appeared in the BIOS.  I went to boot devices to make sure, and I 'expanded' the selection for USB.  When I did, the original drive now mounted on the USB cable flashed to indicate an access.  Then when I continued on to boot the Acronis rescue CD it now came up with lots of accesses to the USB drive.  Before it would never do that, it would flash once then hang.  This time it flashed a bunch of times, then came up with the Acronis screen.

It's running like crazy, but it's telling me it will take 5 hours!  I may have to stop it, as I go home in 2!  Then let it run all night at home...

Mike

dad_skis
Paper Tape
Views: 2,153
Message 7 of 19

Well, it looked like it was going to work, but no go.

Same thing happened as before.

Acronis finished the copy, the said the drive was finished, and came up with the message about moving any jumpers if necessary, and said to reboot.  So I powercycled to reboot.  Went into the BIOS and saw the drive was recognized.  Got the unapproved drive message when I did a reboot, then the screen cleared and I got a flashing cursor that just sits there...

Swapping back to my original drive I can plug the new drive in on the USB and it looks perfect.

Guru
Views: 2,150
Message 8 of 19

Is it the first partition on the disk? - Did you delete the old partition on the target disk`?

Blinking cursor appears, if the boot record of the boot partition cannot be found (on thinkpads ALWAYS after partitioning on ohter computers or in external drive cases).

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Coffee must be like women's eyes: deep black & shiny. ThinkPads have to be like men's feet: deep black & matte!
dad_skis
Paper Tape
Views: 2,141
Message 9 of 19

It's the first and only partition on the drive.  The target disk was blank when I started by deleting the partition.  I used the 'automatic' (whatever it was called in Acronis) to do the copy without specifying anything.

Acronis took 5 hours to do the copy so I had to stop it and restart it, but it restarted from scratch.

I may try it again with Clonezilla.  I couldn't get either Acronis or Clonezilla to start before when I put the target drive in the C spot.  That is, until I did the BIOS trick of just looking at the drives in the SETUP and making sure the USB expanded to show the drive.  Then Acronis did the copy.  I may try it with Clonezilla today at work, since Clonezilla only takes about 50 minutes to run.

dad_skis
Paper Tape
Views: 2,140
Message 10 of 19

I looked at the Drie Copy 11 Pro and it says it won't write to the disk on the download page. Hmm, how do you trial a disk cloner if it won't write?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals