Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
csr0725
Fanfold Paper
Views: 834
Message 1 of 6

T43p Hardrive Replacement Options???

I have an IBM Thinkpad T43p that needs an new hard drive. I have two questions: 1. What hard drives would you recommend for replacement that will not trigger the error message (I would prefer 120gb +) ?   2. When I purchased this notebook I did not recieve the windows xp professional cd's, but there is a proof of license / certificate of authenticity with the product key on the bottom; so how would I go about re-installing my operating system on my new hard drive? thanks
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 825
Message 2 of 6

Re: T43p Hardrive Replacement Options???

CD wise you either go aftermarket with a XP installation discs, or call Lenovo and they will charge you for it.

The harddrive option is limited to say the least.

Have a read...

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=T_Series_Thinkpads&message.id=35170&query.id=133...

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_non-ThinkPad_hard_disks 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
csr0725
Fanfold Paper
Views: 822
Message 3 of 6

I see that the fujitsu 120GB/160GB drives are basically the only options other the an OEM drive, but i'm confused about the ATA, SATA and PATA.....? Which one do I need for my t43p?

This is an example the specs of one of the fujitsu 120GB's I found would this be compatable with my t43p?

Product Description FUJITSU Mobile MHV2120BH - hard drive - 120 GB - SATA-150 Type Hard drive - internal Form Factor 2.5" x 1/8H Dimensions (WxDxH) 2.8 in x 3.9 in x 0.4 in Weight 0.2 lbs Capacity 120 GB Interface Type Serial ATA-150 Connector 22-position Serial ATA (SATA) plug Data Transfer Rate 150 MBps Average Seek Time 12 ms Spindle Speed 5400 rpm Buffer Size 8 MB
Views: 819
Message 4 of 6

you need the PATA drive like all IBM built Thinkpad. SATA drive only came when Lenovo took over the thinkpad brand.
Regards,

Jin Li

csr0725
Fanfold Paper
Views: 813
Message 5 of 6

Well on the bottom of the notebook it says manufactured for Lenovo (Singapore) pte. ltd. does this mean my model was manufactured by Lenovo and I need the sata drive?
Views: 810
Message 6 of 6

The laptop was built by IBM, but when the T43 was built IBM thinkpad was in transition from IBM to Lenovo, so it is likely that when Lenovo took over, there was still lot of T43 that is left unsold or in the process of been constructed.... so this is why Lenovo stickers were there.

But T43 still need PATA hdd that is described in the link that i have provided. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals