cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmmullin
What's DOS?
Views: 4,517
Message 1 of 11

T60 3 beep code; memory, lcd, or motherboard?

Last Thursday my computer developed this issue.  It is a T60, purchased on 7/24/06 (warranty expired 7/24/09 gahhh) Anyway whenever I try to boot it up, the beep code of one long followed by two short is triggered.  The Lenovo site showed it could be memory, the screen, or the motherboard.

I took it to best buy and they hooked it up to an external monitor, which had no effect, issue still occured.  They switched out the memory and the computer worked.  However, we re-installed my memory (which I had upgraded about two years ago to 2 GB) and the computer worked again.  ????  So it seemed the screen worked fine, as well as the memory.  I took it home and the next time I tried to boot it the issue happened againnnn.

So when I hit the power button, all the lights (like Caps lock, battery, power outlet, etc) light up but then just the battery, plug in, and the circle Z looking power one are the only ones that are lit, and the beeeeeeeeeep beep beep is heard.  The screen remains black.  I'm thinking its the motherboard that needs replacing, but could it just be the video card?  Occassionaly, prior to this, the screen would shut off and stay black, but the hard drive would continue running.  I figured this was due to overheating or something, because sometimes it would get extremely hot.

So has anyone had this problem before with the same beeps, and know how to resolve it?  How much does it cost to get a motherboard, and would there be worthy upgrades to put in instead of just replacing with the same unit?  Thanks in advance.

Guru
Views: 4,512
Message 2 of 11

Re: T60 3 beep code; memory, lcd, or motherboard?

Welcome to the forum!

You can't replace the video card by itself, because it's soldered to the motherboard.

Try removing RAM sticks one at the time and see what happend.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
jmmullin
What's DOS?
Views: 4,504
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for the welcome...I tried taking out the sticks one at a time, and placing them both in each of the slots in all configurations.  The memory also works in my friends computer every time I start it; I highly doubt its the memory; if I can't replace the video card then its going to be the whole board I guess! 

But would there be a good upgrade compared to the "stock" setup, like an upgraded motherboard or a better video card to have soldered onto it?

Guru
Views: 4,490
Message 4 of 11

What's the 7-character model number of your T60?
Cheers,

George

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
jmmullin
What's DOS?
Views: 4,487
Message 5 of 11

2007 57U
Guru
Views: 4,470
Message 6 of 11

Your planar has a X1300 GPU.

Possible upgrades are boards with X1400 (T60), V5200 or V5250 (T60p).

Do bear in mind that these boards must have originated from machines with standard screens, not widescreens in order to fit your chassis.

Cheers,

George

ctbear
Punch Card
Views: 4,437
Message 7 of 11

jmmullin
What's DOS?
Views: 4,425
Message 8 of 11

So you're saying I should call the credit card company about this?  Do they actually cover this sort of deal?  My mom is the one that bought the laptop, so I'd have to have her call, and she is BY FAR the most skeptical person in the world.  I don't see how I could convince her that would even be worth her time.  I'll run it by her though...did you actually do this and it worked?  How many instances do you know of that this worked?  Thanks...

ctbear
Punch Card
Views: 4,422
Message 9 of 11

@jmmullin wrote:

So you're saying I should call the credit card company about this?  Do they actually cover this sort of deal?  My mom is the one that bought the laptop, so I'd have to have her call, and she is BY FAR the most skeptical person in the world.  I don't see how I could convince her that would even be worth her time.  I'll run it by her though...did you actually do this and it worked?  How many instances do you know of that this worked?  Thanks...

Yes...most credit card companies have an extended warranty service on purchases.

I received a FULL refund of what I initially paid for my dead laptop.

If you search on other tech forums...there are instances of others doing what I have done.

Get a refund and buy a new laptop.

Either that...or pay $500 for a repair...your choice.

jmmullin
What's DOS?
Views: 4,413
Message 10 of 11

What credit card company did you go through?  I believe she'll have bought it with a Visa, but I'm not positive. Or by credit card company do you mean a group like Citi or Chase?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals