Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Community Spotlight

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

Check out the ThinkPad Time Machine
Visit the Community Spotlight Blog
Windows  10

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Fanfold Paper
0 Kudos

Re: Strange thing happens when the power goes out..

Sorry for the delay in posting.  I never saw an email about the previous couple posts.

I did not have anything attached to the parallel or serial port.  I have some USB devices like my keyboard and mouse and stuff like that.

BTW I tried the bios and it worked fine but I think the only thing it did was to add a single command to disable both ports.  The previous bios had the appropriate commands to disable both the serial port and parallel port individually.  I bet that would have worked fine now that the issue is understood to be a problem with windows and those 2 external ports.

I tried T60 and T61 and the both worked with the new bios.

Paper Tape
0 Kudos

Re: Strange thing happens when the power goes out.. T61

Here's a me-too.  My T61 was running BIOS v1.26 of 2007-10-18.  When docked, losing power to the dock would cause the system to hang. The dock has an external monitor, USB mouse, USB keyboard, and ethernet.

I upgraded to BIOS v2.30 of 2012-04-02.  That caused a new option to appear in the BIOS config screen, for the docking station, allowing to enable/disable the legacy ports (parallel and serial).  I disabled the ports. 

Then after reboot I tested by pulling the power plug and restoring it.  The external screen went dark when the dock lost power, but came back immediately after I restored power.

I'm using Ubuntu 13.04 for what that's worth.  These hang-on-power-loss-in-dock symptoms don't seem to be tied to the operating system.