Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Axeman89
What's DOS?
Views: 250
Message 1 of 3

T60 Disk Drive Failure After Trying to Write Recovery Disk

Hello,

After backing up my computer for a reformat, I decided to create system recovery disks. I inserted a CD, and got an "unspecified error" message with the code 0x80004005. My computer no longer recognizes any disks I put in it, including my Windows 7 disk, and makes a sound I've never heard before, that sounds like the drive starting to run, then failing before it gets to speed.
Is it possible that Windows has somehow deactivated my disk drive, or could it have happened to fail minutes before a reformat due to the strain of having to burn a CD? Is there some way for me to salvage the optical drive without taking physical measures? If the optical drive is toast, is it possible for me to copy files from the Windows 7 CD to USB, and boot it from there?

Thanks for any help.

Edit: I found a guide for reformatting from USB, and will attempt it once I find a flash drive large enough for the Windows 7 ISO I made.

Retired Partner
Views: 220
Message 2 of 3

Re: T60 Disk Drive Failure After Trying to Write Recovery Disk

Hello Axeman89 and welcome to Lenovo community,

As I understand the optical drive does not read any disc now.

Uninstall the optical drive driver from device manager and restart the system and check,

If the issue persist the update the optical drive firmware from Lenovo website and also try making the anti virus program disable or uninstall.

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Lenovo Technology Partner
Views: 216
Message 3 of 3

Re: T60 Disk Drive Failure After Trying to Write Recovery Disk

Heard about those error before. Click on Start/Run. Type in sfc /scannow Let the test run. After complete do the following. Start/Run. enter cmd. In the command window type chkdsk /F /R. After the next reboot it'll check your hdd for errors.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors