Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbucklee
Paper Tape
Views: 8,649
Message 1 of 21

T60 Docking Station - Dual Display issue

Hey everyone,

I just bought an Advanced Mini-port dock expecting to be able to use the two monitor outputs to run two dual displays.  However, the DVI port in the back does not appear to accept my analog converter.  Any ideas?

Also, I cannot seem to get the computer to run dual displays using the laptop LCD and my desktop monitor using one single SVGA output on the back (like you can do without the dock).  Everytime I check the box to "expand my desktop to this monitor" the screen flickers and unchecks the box.

Help!

Bret
Retired Guru
Views: 8,645
Message 2 of 21

Re: T60 Docking Station - Dual Display issue

try setting it up using the presentation director.  Press Fn + F7 to bring up a menu, then there should be an option to manage your settings.  Hope that helps.
T61 15.4" T9300 (2.5GHz 6MB L2) Windows 7 Professional x64 4GB Memory, NVidia Quadro NVS 140M
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 8,643
Message 3 of 21

Bret, welcome to the forum,

If you use ThinkVantage Presentation Director, (shortcut Fn+F7), you should find everything a little easier.
When creating your profile and selecting screens there is the option to select output to DVI and VGA, this is only available if you first de-select the internal screen. It will also allow you to clone the screens or select extended desktop.
When docked the VGA port on the TP is disabled.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

jbucklee
Paper Tape
Views: 8,639
Message 4 of 21

Thanks for the response.

From what I have gathered from the Lenovo sales rep, the TP can only handle one external monitor using the Advanced Mini dock, which is actually quite disappointing.  So for multi-monitor use, the only benefit of this advanced mini-dock is the quick attachment of all of my external items.  Otherwise, if I am not lazy, I can get the same benefits of my external peripherals by plugging them directly into the laptop without the dock convenience and cord-management.  Smiley Sad

The rep said I would have to buy the Advanced Dock (not the mini) in order to expand to two external monitors on my laptop.

Basically, I am now going to have to return the dock because it doesn't do what I thought it would.

Thanks again for the response and keep on truckin'!

Bret
Retired Guru
Views: 8,631
Message 5 of 21

you can always use the built in LCD on your T60 as a second monitor.  I know, its not the same though....
T61 15.4" T9300 (2.5GHz 6MB L2) Windows 7 Professional x64 4GB Memory, NVidia Quadro NVS 140M
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 8,622
Message 6 of 21

jbucklee wrote:

From what I have gathered from the Lenovo sales rep, the TP can only handle one external monitor using the Advanced Mini dock,
...snip...

I would dispute that even not knowing which T60 you have. Which do you have? It should be able to handle 2 external if you turn the internal screen off. Or, are you trying to achieve 2 external in addition to the internal screen?

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

jbucklee
Paper Tape
Views: 8,616
Message 7 of 21

I wish I would have called the sales rep before I bought the dock.  According to them, you buy a Colorgraphic MVD Video Adapter to hook into a USB port and add a monitor that way.  http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?...

Kind of ridiculous.  I wish I would have known about this a long time ago!
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 8,614
Message 8 of 21

Sorry if I seem to be a little persistent here, but it could benefit current / future members, are you trying to achieve 2 external screens in addition to the internal screen?

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

jbucklee
Paper Tape
Views: 8,612
Message 9 of 21

Yes, I am trying to achieve two external monitors.  Our internal business systems are paperless.  Trying to look at large spreadsheets and other programs at the same time can be daunting on one screen.  We are trying to get away from desktop systems and looking for a good laptop alternative.  Our goal would be to have two externals AND the LCD running on the laptop to get a third monitor.  That is the principle reason we have been using desktops.
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 8,610
Message 10 of 21

Thankyou. The Mini-Dock cannot do this.
The Dock can with an additional graphics card.
Another possible solution is the Matrox DualHead2Go, can be obtained in both digital and analog flavours.

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors