cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2007T60
Blue Screen Again
Views: 502
Message 1 of 11

T60 R and R error messages layout.bin setup.bin setup.ini and setup.dll corrupted

I have a T60 that I was only able to use for a couple of days after purchase on EBAY in the fall of '08.  Ordered recovery disks in spring of '10.  Just now getting to use them.  

The recovery did not work.  BIOS shows 60 gig hard drive as 4.5 gig.  Had hard drive reformatted at repair shop, where we discovered that the HD had 3 partitions, one 50 gig partitution unformatted.

After reformat,  loaded R and R from CDs then rebooted to hard drive and loaded all 6 recovery CD's as per instructions.  Last disk (6 of 6) popped up error messages that \SWWORK\4GEOXCA1\LAYOUT.BIN is corrupt or unreadable, Run CHKDSK.  

Then a message that said:  Unable to save all data for the file \Device\HarddiskVoume3\SWWORK\4GEOXCA1\LAYOUT.BIN Failure of hardware or net connection.

Following that corrupt file messages, like the first one above, for SETUP.INI, SETUP.EXE and SETUP.DLL came up.

The computer will not boot to windows, just sits there with a blank screen after the boot message.  I can boot to the R and R program by hitting the Thinkvantage (blue) button.  

Can I download uncorrupted versions of these files?  Is there a way to check the integrity of the files on the recovery CD (some sort of cabinet type file, IIRC an MIS extension)?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Guru
Views: 489
Message 2 of 11

Re: T60 R and R error messages layout.bin setup.bin setup.ini and setup.dll corrupted

Welcome to the forum!

You need another copy of the last (6 of 6) CD but it can't be downloaded anywhere.

Maybe someone around here who has a set can burn you a copy. Or you can ask at TPF

http://forum.thinkpads.com

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 484
Message 3 of 11

Re: T60 R and R error messages layout.bin setup.bin setup.ini and setup.dll corrupted

Hello,

Given the age of the computer, and the facts that you are not the original owner and it is having disk errors, you may also wish to test the hard disk drive inside it using the HDD manufacturer's diagnostics software.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Guru
Views: 477
Message 4 of 11

@goretsky wrote:

Hello,

Given the age of the computer, and the facts that you are not the original owner and it is having disk errors, you may also wish to test the hard disk drive inside it using the HDD manufacturer's diagnostics software.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Very valid point.

There's a HDD diagnostic utility that runs from BIOS, you may want to start there.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
2007T60
Blue Screen Again
Views: 444
Message 5 of 11

Thanks for the replies.  Still don't have it running, so let me fill you in on what I've tried and maybe you all can think of something I haven't.

First, as per advice from goretsky and ajkula66, I ran the hard disk diagnostics from the BIOS.  It errored (read) and the result code was 0000.  

So I bought a new hard drive, a Kingston SSD 120 GB, SATA III.  There was nothing on it to boot, but going into the BIOS I see that it has been recognized.  Tried the diagnostic program, but it did nothing for 10 minutes.  So I tried to load the R & R.  Got the preloader started, but it would not go through the process of loading onto the hard drive -- blue screening every time.  I tried different BIOS settings, like compatibility mode instead of AHCI, and disabling DMA.  Nada.

Could it be the CD/DVD drive?  Or do I have a corrupt set of R & R disks?

Very frustrated.  Would like to try for a new set of disks, but Lenovo phone support wanted to ding me nearly $200. to sign up for support, so i never got to speak with anybody who did anything but make me tell my whole story then insist on some $ before giving me any answers.  I even requested to send my R & R CDs back to be checked for problems, but between the language barrier and obvious motivation to get some cash out of me, I got no where.

I have signed up at the Thinkpad forum that ajkula66 mentioned and will be cross posting there under the same UID.

Thanks again.

BTW, can I make a USB thumbdrive bootable with the R & R on it?  Thought of this as a work around if the DVD drive is bad.  I have an 8 GB.  If so, how?  Can I do it from the Win Vista Computer Management console?

2007T60
Blue Screen Again
Views: 436
Message 6 of 11

Since the last post earlier tonight I had noticed something in the FAQ about having the DVD drive first in the BIOS boot order. I did that and was then able to load all of R & R 3.0, it rebooted after 6 of 6 recovery CDs, and then began to unpack windows. Made it about 75% before it blue screened with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

I powered off and back on and got all the way to the Windows XP Pro splash before another BSOD. Thereafter I made it to various points in the boot process, even getting to a windows authorization screen (which then BSOD when I hit OK).

I once was able to boot in Safe Mode all the way into windows, even the Start button brought up its menu. Then when I tried Safe Mode w/Networking I got another Auth message that said I must first enter Auth code and could not do it in Safe Mode. Thereafter I have not been able to get back into Safe Mode at all.

I can get to the R & R service with the blue ThinkVantage button. I have not tried to do anything from there, as I don't have any external drives to migrate to, nor do I see any other useful options (like repair windows). I don't really want to go back to scratch, since it has taken so long to get here. Wondering what to try next...

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 429
Message 7 of 11

I personally wouldn't install Win XP on an SSD, not that it won't work, but XP is not well optimized for SSDs.

If you don't mind spending a little more $$$ on Win7 install media I would recommend it.

My 2 cents...

L40SX/240/240X/340CSE/360PE/365XD/380D/380E/380XD/380Z/390/560E/560X/570/600/600E/750Cs/755C/760CD/760EL/760XD/770E/A20p/A22/A31/i1600/G40/R50p/R61i/S30/SL510/T22/T4x/T6x/T4x0/T5x0/W5x0/W700/X1/X2x/X3x/X4x/X6x/X6xT/X2xx/X200T/X30x/Z60m/Z61x

Español Comunidad en Español  English English Community  Deutsche Deutsche Community   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Untitled-4.png
2007T60
Blue Screen Again
Views: 418
Message 8 of 11

Thanks for your reply. At this point I wanted the XP Pro so I could run my old version of AutoCAD (14 -- late '90s). Last I knew it won't run on any OS newer. I may have to figure something else out. Also, there is only 2 GB of RAM on the T60. Wouldn't I have to add more for Win7?
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 408
Message 9 of 11

Win7 works "ok" with 2GB, 3GB would be better. I can't comment on the compatibility of your Autocad with newer Windows versions though... But I was of the opinion that most of the XP software should work fine with Win7. Also consider that MS is stopping XP maintenance on April 8th.

Maybe there is an Autocad forum somewhere on internet? You could check there if your version would work fine with Win7. That's the cool thing of Internet, so much information available... ;-)

Good luck!

L40SX/240/240X/340CSE/360PE/365XD/380D/380E/380XD/380Z/390/560E/560X/570/600/600E/750Cs/755C/760CD/760EL/760XD/770E/A20p/A22/A31/i1600/G40/R50p/R61i/S30/SL510/T22/T4x/T6x/T4x0/T5x0/W5x0/W700/X1/X2x/X3x/X4x/X6x/X6xT/X2xx/X200T/X30x/Z60m/Z61x

Español Comunidad en Español  English English Community  Deutsche Deutsche Community   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Untitled-4.png
2007T60
Blue Screen Again
Views: 390
Message 10 of 11

Thanks again for your replies. I have done all I can, including cleaning and using home remedy CD repair techniques and a optical drive head cleaner (basiically a tiny brush on a CD) to make sure everything is ok physically. Now I'm looking for a downloadable/burnable diagnostic program that will boot the T60 from the DVD drive and test the hardware. I am willing to pay the $20 for PC Doctor, if the home user version will create a bootable CD. I couldn't get that info from the PC Doctor site (mostly a sales pitch, long on benefits, short on features).

Any suggestions on a downloadable (I'm willing to buy it) utility that I can burn to CD to boot up the T60 and format the drive? Right now R & R sys info is again reporting that it is only a 5 GB drive, so I know it did the partition thing again. It's a 120 GB drive. R & R 3.0 SUX!

I have found that I could run Win7 and AutoCAD with a third party utility. So I'm game for Win7. But AutoCAD is not an immediate priority.

For now, I really need to get a PC running for more than a couple of hours at a time (between charges) because I have some major work I need to get done by next week. At this point I'm thinking of downloading a free Linux, if I can find drivers for the Kingston SSD drive, a wifi driver (and browser), an HP 7550 printer driver, and a word processing app that will read my .RTF files. Any suggestions on which Linux? I am technically adept -- what I need is functionality, ease of use is secondary.

My planned procedure at this point is:
1. Download a bootable PC diagnostic and repair (including SSD formatting).
2. Download an Op/Sys (any, Linux, Win7, AmigaDOS, whatever!), drivers and apps that I can burn to CD(s) and load onto the formatted SSD.

Thanks again.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals