Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 13 (12,741 Views)

T60 Trackpoint and Touchpad Driver Problems

I have a T60 8743, Windows 7 Ultimate. I replaced the touchpad and I am trying to use now both my trackpoint and touchpad, but the latest sofware dowloads and driver downloads from Lenovo are not talking to the hardware. Key points: 1. I see the trackpoint and touchpad enabled in the Bios Setup 2. When I download the ultranav driver, and utility software, no problems for 32bit Windows 7 For what ever reason, in device manager, the harware does not show up. I am looking for som help!
Community Moderator
Message 2 of 13 (12,721 Views)

Re: T60 Trackpoint and Touchpad Driver Problems

[ Edited ]

[Edited to fix a typo.  AG]

Hello,

Does the devices show up in the Device Manager (filename: DEVMGMT.MSC), even as unrecognized devices?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 360 (?-?)

de.gif Deutsche Community es.gif Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество pt.gif Communidade Portugues
Guru
Message 3 of 13 (12,717 Views)

Please check, whether theTouchpad-cable is re-attached to the connector.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Coffee must be like women's eyes: deep black & shiny. ThinkPads have to be like men's feet: deep black & matte!
Paper Tape
Message 4 of 13 (12,675 Views)

What shows up only is PS/2 Mouse with a triangle, but neither the touch pad nor the touchpoint show up under the mice. And the PS/2 Mouse shows up only when I select hidden devices to be shown too. Again, this is showing up in the Bios, but I am with you, concerned it is not showing up in the device manager.

Thoughts?

Paper Tape
Message 5 of 13 (12,674 Views)

Yes I did, and the connection is there. Again, the Bios is picking it up to, both the trackpoint and the touchpad.

Why is the device manager not picking it up?

Guru
Message 6 of 13 (12,663 Views)

[ Edited ]

New game:

The same issue appeared to me (with the entry in the device manager).

For the next steps you'll need to open all needed windows and be prepared to navigate only with keayboard since the touchpad, mouse and trackpoint will be disabled:

- open device manager

- open Controlpanel - Add/remove Software

- remove the Synaptics driver and utility (if installed)

- switch into device manager

- remove all mouse/trackpoint/touchpad devices from there

- reboot

after login the generic mouse drivers will be installed.

If Trackpoint and touchpad are working, install the Lenovo Ultranav driver and Ultranav utility and  take care, that it won't be overwritten by the (Synaptics) Ultranav driver which comes from Windows Update.

My ThinkPad-Collection
Coffee must be like women's eyes: deep black & shiny. ThinkPads have to be like men's feet: deep black & matte!
Paper Tape
Message 7 of 13 (12,653 Views)

Thanks,

I followed your steps but when the reboot came the mouse still had the triangle with an error Code 10 which is "device cannot start". Looking at the default drivers, they were Microsoft, driver version 6.1.7600.16385.

Located at Windows\system32\drivers\i8042prt.sys and mouclass.sys same location.

These should be a Lenovo default driver right? Before I download the Ultranav, it appears the key it get the trackpoint to move by itself upon boot. Not there yet.

What should the standalone driver be to assign to the PS/2 mouse... any thoughts?

Thanks

Guru
Message 8 of 13 (12,632 Views)

Strange.

Does the ultranav work fine under linux live-cd?

If it does, it seems to be a windows problem.

The installation files of the ultranav driver should be located in

C:\drivers\win\unav

C:\swtools\drivers\win\unav

or

C:\program files\lenovo\system update\session\<one of the cryptic folder names>

Try to install the driver via device manager

My ThinkPad-Collection
Paper Tape
Message 9 of 13 (12,607 Views)

Thanks,

I don't have access to Linux. But here is what I have observed after 30 attempts to install and reinstall drivers.

When I strip all the drivers and uninstall the ps/2 mouse, and then reboot, the default driver as I mentioned above, does not work with the trackpoint. Anotherwords, when I reboot, the Microsoft drivers I mentioned above are a code 24. So I can't even move the trackpoint. Remember it shows up on the device config at reboot, and is not hidden, so I think, until I can even get that initial file to work the trackpoint, everything else with Synaptics Ultranav is meaningless...

That is what I am seeing too.... no dice...

Anyideas on this one?

Thanks

Paper Tape
Message 10 of 13 (12,602 Views)

Aryeh,

Yes, when I rest and reboot, it does show up as ps/2 mouse but with a triangle, code 10 and 24 using the microsoft driver listed above in the path. Even here the mouse or trackpoint is not working.

Ideas?

Thanks,