08-21-2014 08:05 AM
I made it on my R60 and i don't know that r61 t61 or t60 has the same mainboard but i think it is quite similar.
1. For first you need to uncover all laptop. Only LCD can stay in one piece.
Here you have a service manual. It's really helpful for disassembling:
2. The Integreted circuits which we are serching for are on the backside of motherboard.
3. Here is a foto with pinout. (It's not mine it's from http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/Lenovo-R60-FRU-42W2585-non-integrated-motherboard/510666705.html#... i don't want to uncover my laptop anymore but i mark what you need to find)
4. When you get to those ICs check if there is a shortcut cirucit between pin 1 and GND. If is it's broken.
5. You need to buy this integrated cirucits - 3 pieces (or if you have one of RGB color maybe you need less) and replace it.
You can also make like me but take care that you will can't connect a monitor from docking station anymore. Just remove them and connect pin 1 with pin 4. Be really carefull the pads are very small and very close to each other. I remove the ICs and just cut out from board those pads of pins 2, 3, 5 and 6 and then connect pin 1 and 4 with thin piece of solder or you can make this with very thin wire. I use for that soldering iron zd-98.
here you have a datasheet of that IC:
take a look for schematic on pages 27 and 72.
I don't know if your problem is the same but you can try. Be careful and don't destroy anything.
Wish you good work.
best regards from Poland
08-21-2014 01:44 PM
Thank you for a detailed explanation zdrapkozdrafkov !!
This things (DisplayLink) have no support in Linux, that is why I revisited this.
Great work you did. I think it should be something similarly wrong with my VGA. I looked at schematics and it is a simple mux-2 switch. I could change them, i have changed CCFL backlight twice on mine T60.
But I have a second option, that is working. DVI-D(HDMI) digital output is working like a charm.
It is unfortunate that I have realized it just now. I had a dock station before tthe incident few year ago. After that I have bought an USB2DVI/VGA adapter which is now redundant.
05-03-2016 01:33 PM
05-05-2016 04:56 PM
Have you tried setting the BIOS to start up with VGA primary? Have you tried Fn+F7?
05-05-2016 10:33 PM
I tried everything, including different external monitors and cables. No, VGA port is dead for sure. To fix it cost 35-50$, for that kind of money I can buy used working motherboard. I already ordered demupltiplexer IC (20 pcs cost 4.31$). If I fail, I'll buy used motherboard rather. Can you give me an advice regarding T61/61p motherboards with 256MB graphics suitable to build a Frankenpad?