cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sponge11790
Paper Tape
Views: 2,829
Message 1 of 9

T60 Won't boot after changing battery.... Help?

Ok. So My parents laptop was having issues where once is booted and was on the windows desktop screen, you could do anything you wanted with the keyboard, but if you tried to use the touchpad or the trackpoint, it would lock up instantly and you were s.o.l. So, after about 4 hours of keyboard only navigation and updating ultranav drivers and etc., I came across someone on a forum saying that a bad battery would cause the exact issues I was having. So, I pulled the bad battery, and started it up with just the AC adapter. Worked flawlessly. No problems whatsoever.

Now, with the backstory in place, here is what went down after that. I bought a NEW battery off eBay that was supposed to be a direct replacement for a T60. When it came in, I noticed it was ever so slightly different in some of the plastic (not enough to make a deal about), and it had a different brand name on it. Nevertheless, It had the same connections, same shape, and same voltage ratings, so I stuck it in and hit the button. It made it to the windows XP loading screen (with the blue bar that goes across), and sat there for about 30 minutes. Nothing else happened, it just stayed like that. So, I held the power button for 5 seconds to force a shut down. Restarted it, and it came up with the black screen saying "didn't shut down properly last time, etc." So I chose <Start Windows Normally> Same thing again. Repeat forced shut down. Restarted again, only this time I chose <Use last known good configuration>... when I hit the "Enter" button, it stayed locked up on that black and white screen and didn't even go anywhere. Pulled the "new battery" (which really did appear to be new by the way) and tried starting with just the AC adapter again. Still no dice. Tried starting with the AC adapter only again, but this time in safe mode. When it is loading the list of all the drivers, it hangs at the one labeled ".....drivers.ntfs", but eventually continues to the windows desktop area (still in safe mode). I can push any one key, but the 2nd keystroke I make locks it up and you can't do anything else with it.

Don't have the Windows XP CD for this by the way. I do have a Dell XP re-install CD, but I don't know if that would do any good. I am leery about even trying that.

I did pull the hard drive and hook it up to another computer to pull off the pictures etc, so no need to worry about losing anything. Just want it to work.

Can somebody please tell me what the heck is going on with this thing? It beats everything I have ever seen.

Thank you,

Karl.

Anastasios
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,806
Message 2 of 9

Re: T60 Won't boot after changing battery.... Help?

Hi Karl and welcome to the Forum!

So basically, this is what it seems happened. You had a dead/ malfunctioning genuine battery which caused the touchpad and trackpoint to freeze as discussed in the thread here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T61-and-prior-T-series-ThinkPad/T60-freezes-when-moving-trackpoint-right...

And here is another informative thread discussing battery charging issues: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/R-and-L-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/R61-Battery-indicator-flashes-orange-won...

After you removed the dead/ malfunctioning battery the touchpad and trackpoint would no longer freeze on your T60. Then you purchased a "compatible" non-O.E.M. replacement battery. Although Brand New, It began to trigger the same freezing issues as the previous dead battery. This is one of the dangers of purchasing a non-genuine battery. They are often of inferior quality, cause communication glitches with Lenovo Power Manager or inaccuracies in battery stats displayed by Windows operating system itself, can cause your laptop or AC adapter to overheat, and, as you have found out, can cause touchpad/ trackpoint freezing issues even though Brand New.

First of all, stop using the new non-O.E.M. battery. Sounds like it's poorly made and could cause further damage besides freezing your system. Hopefully you can return it for a refund. Genuine Lenovo New and used T60 batteries are available at a reasonable price. No need to go for the non-O.E.M. stuff. I have a good supply of these batteries available. If you wish to contact me, just click my name on the left and you will be able to send me a Private Message.

Secondly, how to resolve the booting issues you are facing? Well it seems all the fiddling around with the previous dead battery and the forced shutdown/ restart of Windows in trying to get past the freezing/locking up of your system caused by the New generic battery messed up your MBR, registry and Windows configuration pretty good. You could probably fix this by using a Windows XP reinstallation CD to do a repair, and by issuing a "Fixboot" command. However, I think it would be better in this case to do a fresh installation. The Dell O.E.M. CD you have will work once it's a bootable XP installation CD. It probably contains XP SP2, so run Windows updates after installation and allow it to update to SP3. Once it's an O.E.M. (versus retail) install CD, you can use the XP key on the back of your laptop to activate Windows. All of your machine-specific drivers can be found by entering the 7-digit type/model number on the back of your T60 in "Quick Path" here. Any additional drivers you may need can be found in the general list of T60 drivers here.

Views: 2,805
Message 3 of 9

Did you install any codecs or codec packs lately?

Just curious because I've seen this problem caused by conflicting codecs, as soon as the system "focuses" on an icon it will become unstable.

If you don't have another harddrive with a clean windows installation to plug in and boot (for testing), then I'd get a Linux LiveCD and start the computer with it, if your system runs on linux ok then you probably only have a software problem and need to reinstall windows, if you get the same problem with linux, then it's more serious and you need to eliminate any removeable hardware as the cause until you're left with just a system board as the cause.

Good Luck.

ps. As for the battery being different, you most likely got a cheap generic battery so be careful, some have been known to start fires. Also with new free-trade laws, it's easy for ebay sellers to get blackmarket batteries in the country without being checked to make sure they comply with safety regulations. There are also fake batteries that carry the lenovo brand name, these are the most dangerous in my opinion because anyone who makes a fake lenovo battery would have no moral problem with faking the RoHS and UL Labs logos too.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
Sponge11790
Paper Tape
Views: 2,764
Message 4 of 9

Exactly. Everything seemed to work out OK, though it was a bit of work. I pulled the hard drive one more time and hooked it to my desktop just to make sure that there were no other personal files to save from it. Then, I wiped it completely clean, put it back in the T60 laptop and reformatted/partitioned. I used the Dell disk and the COA sticker on the bottom of the T60 and reinstalled XP. Went to the Lenovo website and downloaded the drivers that were missing, and now it works like new. Had to upgrade to SP3 and everything else, so it was a bit of work, but it was also a learning experience. Also, I was able to return and get refund on the non-OEM battery, and bought an actual OEM battery from another seller.

Thank you guys for all your help. I do appreciate it!

Karl.

Fide
Paper Tape
Views: 2,160
Message 5 of 9

Hello everybody in the lenovo community,

I m pulling up this topic because I admittedly found myself in a similar condition and I d be very  thankful to get friendly expertise.

I have an old Lenovo T60 (among others). At some point the battery wasn't holding more than 10 min. So I went to Amazon and bought what I thought was the most reliable (from the content of comments) product among 3rd party 9-cell batteries... After using it 2 weeks, the computer stopped working (No Post, no electricity). I tried putting back the old genuine lenovo battery in it, suspecting the 3rd party product. It didn't do nothing.

However, 3 days after removing all batteries, I gave it another try, with just the cord for some reason and Lo, the T60 worked again ! However, with the genuine battery back inside, it would return to the same desolate state...

I d be interested to read, if anybody here thinks I'd have chances to ever make it work again on batteries also, without changing the whole board?

best regards

Fide   

TuuS
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,156
Message 6 of 9

I'd avoid generic batteries, some aren't bad, but others can cause problems. What you can try is remove power and batter and press the power button ten times holding a few seconds each time, then on the last, hold for 30 seconds. Then you can apply ac power and test the machine and try with a battery. 

If this doesn't help you'll probably need a new motherboard.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
Fide
Paper Tape
Views: 2,140
Message 7 of 9

Thanks for the reply. I thought so... but the static discharge, though it seemed to have some effect on the closed lid leds didn't make it work again ...
TuuS
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,134
Message 8 of 9

It's a long-shot, but you can try removing all the drives and cards and install only one ram chip and try again, then try with another ram chip, or a known good one if you have one handy. 

If you don't see any change, you'll likely need a new board.

Fide
Paper Tape
Views: 2,122
Message 9 of 9

Thanks again Tuus. In fact I'm running Xp on only one ram chip at this point - not really suffering from the lack of DDR - but yes, I could switch that ram with one out of my wife's T61... (I'll have to wait for the right moment though Woman Mad...).

EDIT:

just for documentary and diagnosis purpose if it should help somebody:

Leaving the adapter cord plugged in the notebook on one side, but not in the wall socket, while the machine was switched off - still without the battry - eventually produced the same symptoms that prevented any booting later.

Again, waiting 30 minutes without any electric connection to the T60, brought back the booting functionality.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors