Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skdavsi100
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,359
Message 1 of 4

T60 hard drive replacement - Windows does not recognize the hard drive

Hello All, new to the Lenovo Community. I have a T60 as well as newer Lenovo Edge. The HD crashed on the T60 and it will no longer boot. I just purchased a WD 500GB without doing a lot of research. In trying to install Windows 7 (I had already upgraded the T60) it will not recognize the new drive - Windows does not see the drive at all. Is there a way to get the Lenovo to recognize the WD drive? Thank you in advance for any help.

TuuS
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,339
Message 2 of 4

Re: T60 hard drive replacement - Windows does not recognize the hard drive

It sounds like you're doing something wrong, if the drive is an SATA it should work, just install it and boot from your windows setup DVD and it will setup the drive and format it for you, or you can optionally setup the partitions manually when prompted to do so. If you're trying to do something unusual like transfer the windows from the old drive then you need to explain exactly what you've done because I see no reason this shouldn't work. Infact I've done it many times myself.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
skdavsi100
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,335
Message 3 of 4

Yes, doing something wrong. Turns out the drive did not seat when I inserted. Everything is good now other than frustration level.

TuuS
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,324
Message 4 of 4

Glad I was able to help. Smiley Tongue

Just be careful, the usual "if it doesn't fit, find a bigger hammer" doesn't apply to this model laptop.

Also, there is a part available to adjust the frustration level, I don't happen to have the FRU number available, but I do have a photo and I'm sure you can find a local shop to provide it. Any experienced vendor should be able to match up a similar item from this photo.

It comes in many varieties, this model has a handy extention to aid in installation so you can easily do it with one hand. Others may require two hands to safely install. Use care when installing, one slip can destroy your laptop. Acute abuse can lead to severe embarassing situations and cronic abuse can have impact on your health, so use wisely and always get a spare to share with a friend. They tend ot come conviently packaged in quantity of 6, so you can invite a few friends over.

This invention has saved many a laptop from sailing out of windows worldwide.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
Top Kudoed Authors