cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
T60_user
Paper Tape
Views: 23,786
Message 1 of 14

T60 hdd isnt getting detected anymore (error 2100:hdd0, initialization error 2)

Dear all.

Since yesterday evening i am not able to use my T60 anymore as the HDD isnt getting detected as usual. After the BIOS bootup sequence the following error appears:

ERROR

2100: HDD0 (Hard disk drive) initialization error (2)

Press <ESC> to continue 

As far as i press ESC i am getting a new screen informing me about "Cannot boot from any device" and my HDD is outlined as "4: ATA HDD0: Device Error".

I already tried to find it via BIOS and by PC Doctor HDD check tool but nothing happened. The HDD isnt getting recognized anymore. There was nothing special due to the regular usage of my T60 and i am not sure if i would be able to at -least recover, data in any way back to somewhere.

Any help, idea or even support would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and best regards

Steve

Message Edited by T60_user on 11-09-2008 03:20 AM
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 23,782
Message 2 of 14

Re: T60 hdd isnt getting detected anymore (error 2100:hdd0, initialization error 2)

Hello,

please try Ultimative Boot Cd or Ubuntu or Knoppix Linux Live Cd.

Burn them to disk and boot with it. But it seems, that either the hdd or the board controller 

is faulty.

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T430s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

T60_user
Paper Tape
Views: 23,770
Message 3 of 14

Re: T60 hdd isnt getting detected anymore (error 2100:hdd0, initialization error 2)

Thanks for the pretty quick reply. Seems to be more seriuos as expected :-/ I just found some similar topics and will try to test the following even if i have XPproSp2:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-63685

As far as my PC is providing same SATA cable i should be able to use it there for check purposes as well, right?

Is it recommended to "reset" my 2,5" hdd and how does it works? 

Thanks and i keep you updated in the meantime.

Steve

Message Edited by T60_user on 11-09-2008 03:46 AM
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 23,726
Message 4 of 14

Hello,

also you could change your hdd modus from AHCI to compatible.

May be it helps.

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T430s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 23,723
Message 5 of 14

T60_user wrote:

Is it recommended to "reset" my 2,5" hdd and how does it works?

Did you mean "reseat" your hard drive? This is by no means a bad idea, insructions can be found here on how to remove your hard drive.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

bigbig
Paper Tape
Views: 23,654
Message 6 of 14

i have the same problem as yours. and i have updata the bois to 2.24 and hd firmware to FWSH23. these 2 patches were downloaded as following address.

firmware

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-63685
in the hd readme.txt we found the following content:

<FWSH23>
   Model                Firmware
   ----------------     --------------
   [ Hitachi ]
   HTS5432xxL9SA00      ZC48C
   HTS543216L9SA01FDE   LC48C
   [ WD ]----------------------------------------------------it is my hd type
   WDxxxxBEVS-08RS      11.01G11

=====================================================
bois 2.24

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-67989

in the bois readme.txt we found the following content:

<2.14-1.08>

BIOS: 2.14 / ECP: 1.08

- (New) Microcode updates of the processors.

- (New) Intel Memory Reference Code update.

- (New) Update of Intel AMT 2.6 Management Engine Region Firmware

(the models with Intel AMT 2.6 feature only).

- (New) Support for initialization command of SSD (Solid State Drive).

- (Fix) Boot error occurs at Intel ICH8M SATA initialization.

- (Fix) The error code 2100 (Hard disk drive 0 initialization error)

is displayed only occasionally after "Setup Default" is done

in BIOS Setup Utility.

- (Fix) The boot sequence is different from the expected one in case

of Wake on LAN(WOL).

- (Fix) Data of memory may get garbled during system boot or resume

from standby/hibernation mode/power-off (the models with

Intel AMT 2.6 feature only).

though i install all these patches, but it is no use...

please help.

btw, i have check the disk when the hd can work, the result show that there is no bad section on the hd. so i think it is more like a hardware problem and can be solve by patch. maybe.

zhaoyuxin

beijing china

T61

Message Edited by bigbig on 11-10-2008 07:50 AM
haspac2
Paper Tape
Views: 18,429
Message 7 of 14

hello i have the same problem on my IBM lenovo T60

ERROR 2100 : HDD0 initialization error (2)

ERROR expansion ROM not initialized- PCI on Motherboard

press ESC to continue

and then nuttin happen

i have a message :

cannnot boot from any device

the pc can't start

and when i put windows cd trying to format it and reinstall it

i have a blue screen ....

can someone please help my pc can no more start; and i cant format it ny suggestions??

forrest-lenovo
Paper Tape
Views: 17,025
Message 8 of 14

Even when I was getting this exact same error, I could mount and read the drive under a Ubuntu CD!  (Ubuntu 9, in my case.)

This meant I could recover my files, and make a mirror onto a new drive.

Doing the mirror, a few sectors were bad, but they were high in the partition and would not explain why it got an error at boot.

Changing the AHCI and compatibility setting in the BIOS had no effect, by the way.  It is very interesting that the Ubuntu drivers could read where the BIOS failed, but my experience may give others some hope.

Kamika007z
Punch Card
Views: 16,232
Message 9 of 14

Not trying to revive an old thread here, but the same thing recently happened to my T60p (2007-8JU).  A BSOD resulted while running WIndows 7 x64 (the system was was idle for the moment) and then upon restart, it gave the same BIOS error.

The system was not hot, but after 10 minutes or so, the machine was able to boot again.  I am hoping the drive is faulty and not the board.  Since then I had reseated the drive, the memory, and reset the BIOS as well. All tests ran from Lenovo's ThinkVantage Toolbox long and short had passed as well as Seatool's HDD diagnostics software.

Has anyone had this issue here which resulted in them replacing the board and not the drive? I am running BIOS 2.25 and never had this issue before.  The machine has been hardly used.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Guru
Views: 16,200
Message 10 of 14

If you can prove the hard drive to be OK, then it's the board.

Haven't seen this problem on a T60p, but on several older ThinkPads, and it's usually intermittant at first and then becomes a permanent non-boot issue.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors