Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Poukin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 247
Message 1 of 6

[T60p] Trackpoint issue

Hello,

I have a new issue since i updated my t60p. I opened it to add a SSD and a new processor (T7200), and since i reassembled it, my trackpoint doesn't work unless i unplug the palm rest (so the touchpad id unplugged).
If I plug the palm rest, the trackpoint stops to work. It does it even on a linux live cd, so it is not a driver problem.
In the bios both trackpoint and touchpad are set on "automatic".

Do you know this issue guys ?

Thanks

TuuS
Bit Torrent
Views: 241
Message 2 of 6

Re: [T60p] Trackpoint issue

This is odd, but if what you report is 100% accurate, then it must be caused by the disassembly, so I would suspect the keyboard connector. Try unplugging and replugging it on the system board. While it's off take a good look at both connectors with a jewers loop, see if you see any damage. If you do, don't go any further without extreme caution. The keyboard can be replaced very inexpensively, but if you damage the connector on the board, you're looking at a lot of work and money.

I'll also state that I've done this hundreds of times and never had a problem like this, so it really sounds more like a software problem, but I won't doubt that you have ruled out that posibility, but you might want to double check. Also make sure all the other keys work on your keyboard...  in fact you may want to do that first. If your connector is damaged or not seated properly, it's probable that other keys won't be working too. There are many software programs to test keyboards, There are also online tests you can use. I found this one on a google search, but I make no claims to it's function, or the safety of the webpage....

keyboardtester.com

So use it at your own risk

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 239
Message 3 of 6

They both connect as USB devices. My guess is that you damaged the palmrest cable and have an intermittent connection so you are flooding the USB controller when the palmrest is plugged in.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
TuuS
Bit Torrent
Views: 238
Message 4 of 6

@richk wrote:
They both connect as USB devices. My guess is that you damaged the palmrest cable and have an intermittent connection so you are flooding the USB controller when the palmrest is plugged in.

Good point...   and besides the connector, look for cracks in the ribbon cable. These cables can get brittle with age. I'm not sure if you can buy the cable separately, but one could be removed from any T60/61 palmrest. I may even have a damaged palmrest if you need one and are willing to cover the postage

Edit: Just noticed you're in france, so you'd be better off finding one local...  but the offer stands nonetheless.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
Poukin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 227
Message 5 of 6

Hi mates,

Thanks for responding. So i checked the cables, apparently not ribbon. Im pretty sure its a hardware problem since I tested with a linux live boot cd. Problem is I can't know if it is the keyboard or the palm rest which is defective.

TuuS I would be glad if u sent me your palm rest, of course I pay the shipping. =)

Poukin

TuuS
Bit Torrent
Views: 223
Message 6 of 6

I sent you a private message regarding the international shipping. If you're unable to source the parts locally, then I'd be glad to help. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors