Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bhaga
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,724
Message 1 of 9

T61 8891-CTO split screen display on startup - nVidia drivers don't work

Greetings,

I have a T61 model 8891-CTO laptop. The laptop has the following nVidia part - 42X0809SBB NVID Q NVS 140M W/O-WWAN. Whenever I start my laptop I get a split screen display. I tried restoring an old system image and even tried re-installing Windows 7 several times and I still have the same problem. When ever I tried to install the nVidia driver, the OS goes into recovery mode upon startup. The warranty on the machine is expired. I read a few threads in the forum regarding T61 display problems, but was not able to find a solution to my problem. Does anybody have any suggestions or advice for this problem.

Thanks in advance for any help!

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 3,706
Message 2 of 9

Re: T61 8891-CTO split screen display on startup - nVidia drivers don't work

this is a problem with the nvidia GPU. Does the same problem occur on external LCD?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
bhaga
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,700
Message 3 of 9

I did not try that. I don't have an LCD at the present time, but I can try it out. Thanks.
Former Administrator
Views: 3,673
Message 4 of 9

Also, try starting and pressing F1 to go into BIOS and see if you still get the split screen.
bhaga
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,654
Message 5 of 9

I tried the external LCD and also going into BIOS - still the same problem.
Former Administrator
Views: 3,652
Message 6 of 9

bhaga,

Well, that would tend to unfortunately confirm that you have a problem with the video subsystem - mostly likely the GPU as lead_org suggests above.

If your system is still under warranty, or six months or less outside of warranty, please contact support and they should be able to service the system and replace the system board.

If you are otherwise out of warranty, you may want to check the support site to find the FRU number for your system board and do a bit of searching online for the best price on a replacement board and swap it out.  It's not too hard - will take you about 45-50 mins start to finish. 

You will want to pick up some artic silver and clean off all the old thermal paste and use the artic silver on the CPU and GPU when you install the fan / heatsink.

Wish I had some better news for you!

Best regards,

Mark

bhaga
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,627
Message 7 of 9

I'll check with support again and see if they can service the system. If not, I'll go with the route you mentioned. Thanks for your suggestions, Mark!
supergamos
What's DOS?
Views: 1,458
Message 8 of 9

Greetings,

I had the same problem with my T61.the way i fixed mine was by doing this.

(1)Open your laptop.

(2)Find the nvidia chip

(3)Wipe the old thermal paste off and put this paste on http://www.amazon.com/Antec-761345-77063-7-Silver-Thermal-Compound/dp/B00006I51G you can buy this product at your local radioshack.(SIDE NOTE) If your cpu has a little bit of paste then do the same process that you did with your gpu to your cpu.

(4)Put your laptop back together and turn it on.

(5)it might have a split screen dont worry just leave it on for about 5-10 minutes because the paste needs to get hot so that it can stick to the Gpu,Cpu.

(6)That should do it now reply if it works.

Highlighted
spaceman75
What's DOS?
Views: 135
Message 9 of 9

Yes it defenitly works! Maybe a little more cooling paste than usual and of course change the cooling/cooler pad, something i've done too. After that it should work just fine! Without buying unnecessary parts like motherboards and stuff like that. It could though of be a good invest to change the fan part not the whole cooler when are in that area and taking things apart anyway. If something dosent make sense in this text it may have something to do with the fact that my native language isnt amarican/english but, in this case, swedish.

Well... it worked for a while, short period of time... At least it worked, like i said... but temporary... sadly and somewhat strange and interesting at the same time... Maybe it happens because of something permanently damaged the gpu... That appears when it reach a certain level of temperature... i mean the consequence

This was a reply to the comment of supergamos even thought i tried to reply to his comment it doesn,t apply or appear like that. Don't know why..

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals