Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Agent_12
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,681
Message 1 of 4

T61 Beep Codes at POST

Good Morning All,

I have a T61 7662-CTO with 4GB RAM, 100GB HDD, Vista Ultimate x64, NVIDIA Quadro 128mb.

At POST I'm receiving a beep code, one long, two short beeps.

After a very unproductive call with IBM/Lenovo support I was advised to run the PC Doctor diagnositic tool which says that my memory, video card and mainboard is fine.

Two months ago the mainboard was replaced, and the system has been working fine. This issue started on Tuesday and the first time it occured a BSOD appeared upon login, and unfortunately I wasn't able to take the error in enough time before the memory dump.

Any thoughts on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Caf
Token Ring
Views: 9,644
Message 2 of 4

Re: T61 Beep Codes at POST

1 long, 2 short is an error with the video adapter.  This isn't specific to IBM systems either, that code is the same for pretty much every BIOS out there.

If you let the memory dump finish you can probably still find it on the system and analize it now.  If your settings are for a full dump it can be found in %WINDIR%\Memory.dmp and a partial dump would be found in %WINDIR%\Minidump\%DATE%.dmp.

Agent_12
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,624
Message 3 of 4

Thank you for the response. That's the path I've been on and I finally received a responsive tech this evening and explained my situation once again that the video card is most likely on the verge of failing as the screen and such still works.

I think it may have something to do with the fact that the tech who replaced the system board previously didn't reapply the heat sink gel to all of the heat sensitive areas because he felt the foam/whatever else was on there was fine from before then again it could be coincidence.

In either case I'll know more on the 23rd when the onsite tech shows up to replace my mainboard once again.

Agent_12
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,525
Message 4 of 4

Ok, the solution to this problem turns out to be the Intel Turbo Memory. It is corrupt and needs to be replaced. It should be in tomorrow, but at the moment the beep codes are gone with the turbo memory removed.
Top Kudoed Authors