Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
u2escape
Paper Tape
Views: 3,750
Message 1 of 4

T61 - Hardware Malfunction NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error

Hello all.

First of all, thank you for reading and replying to this thread!

"I am very uneducated in computer science and functionality."

My system specification:

CPU: Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T7500

Motherboard Model: 7664A14 

Memory: 3 GB DDR2

Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M

Storage: FUJITSU MHY2120BH
All device driver are from Lenovo website.

I have Thinkpad TTT for about 4 years now and have had no problem with hardware whatsoever.  (Except services for replacing cooling fan twice).

I've been playing video games such as Battlefield 2, Warcraft 3, CS 1.6 and mostly any game that required low-mid requirement system.

Suddenly when playing video game, the computer crashes with a bluescreen contaning the following message:

*** Hardware Malfunction
Call your hardware vendor for support

NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error

*** The system has halted *** 

The computer rebooted itself after the bluescreen disappear and was able to work again for another hour until another bluescreen appears.  This time when it rebooted, it didn't show anything, not even BIOs, just plain black screen.  I turn it off and back on again and still no image.  The computer will keep rebooting itself every 20 seconds approx. until it was able to load BIOs and into Windows (This might take anywhere from 3-100's of attempts).  When I was able to use Windows again and used PC-Doctor to test my system.  It shows no problem has occured with any devices.  

From there, if the computer was able to turn on and load properly, I would be able to use it, shut down and turn back on or restart,  the computer would act normally.  But anytime I enter a video game, the system crashes with bluescreen with the message "Hardware Malfunction".  If the crash happened, I would reboot and the loading problem above would occured (where it would attempt to load the system but fail to do so and would restart itself and try again).  So now when it does load and properly working, I'm only able to do anything but play video games (Web browsing, install and uninstall softwares, documents). 

For some times before this happen, my computer would get very hot from video gaming which usually it had never happen. 

I am not certain if the system RAM is the main issue. The hardware might be damaged from overheating but the overheating problem are gone and still the problem occures.  I'll be sending my laptop for service in a couple of days so from my discriptions, what would likely be the highest factor that cause  this problem? And did anyone have has the same problem?

Thanks for respond!

Peter_C
SCSI Port
Views: 3,691
Message 2 of 4

Re: T61 - Hardware Malfunction NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error

Does it help if you apply pressure around the W/S/Q/A keys or slightly bend the whole chassis?

(If I remember correctly Video and 3D was the first thing to go when the GPU (NVS 140M) in my T61 7663 started to fail.)

ThinkPad T61 (7663-13G) T7500 2.2GHz/4GiB/120GB SSD/Sierra MC8775 HSPA/Win7 Pro x64/(3rd Fan, 3rd NVS 140M), 2x 39T4587
Hovik77
What's DOS?
Views: 3,298
Message 3 of 4

u2escape what did you do. i have the same problem with a same type of computer?
ghivi01
Paper Tape
Views: 2,800
Message 4 of 4

Hello! Hope all is well. I started having the exact same problem as you a few days ago and I have to confess I'm very scared. At first I thought I had lost all my data.

Have you been able to solve it? I'm writing this but afraid my computer might die at any moment. I tried to upgrade bios and all lenovo added software but nothing worked so far.

Thanks for your comments.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors