cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pattk
Punch Card
Views: 6,467
Message 91 of 239

Re: Disappointing display and no satisfaction from Lenovo tech depot...

Hello Mark and everyone,

I’ve been following this thread for a while. Received my T61p 6459CTO on May 12, couldn’t stand the LCD, and found this board.

My display is a Samsung 15.4-inch WUXGA with Mfg part # 42T0407. It’s terrible comparing to my old T42p UXGA IPS display. I filed a complaint on May 20, and had called the tech support on May 24 for the box coming on May 27. I specified an LG replacement. If the LG panel has similar quality, I would definitely ask for a full refund.

Mark, how long would it take if I send my laptop to you? I would need a fully functional laptop in two weeks. If not from Lenovo, I’m now seriously considering Fujitsu, Toshiba, or a Dell. I may have too high expectation on the T61 LCD display and the quality of my LCD panel is among the average though. Would PM you my customer #, serial #, and case # if you think it worth a try. You may assign me a new case number and I still ship out my laptop on May 27 but different destination?

Patrick

T42p 2373HVU P M 745 (1.8GHz) WinXP Pro 2GB RAM ATI FireGL T2 128MB 15 UXGA
T61p 6459CTO C2D T9300 (2.5GHz 800MHz 6MBL2) Vista Business 3GB RAM NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M 15.4 WUXGA
supra97RX7
Punch Card
Views: 6,430
Message 92 of 239

question to those who think they have great screens (whom are probably not in this thread; that wouldn't make sense)

are your LCDs grain-free?

also,
i was under the impression that
42T0422 42T0423 15.4 INCH LCD DISPLAY FRU
means LG. but then if i continue down the parts lookup, there is 42X3996 42X4641 15.4 INCH LCD DISPLAY ASSEMBLY FRUwhich i heard is samsung.  so what do i really have?

Message Edited by supra97RX7 on 05-26-2008 07:21 PM

Message Edited by supra97RX7 on 05-26-2008 07:57 PM
pattk
Punch Card
Views: 6,407
Message 93 of 239

supra97RX7,

The Mfg part # is for Lenovo internal usage only.
You may download a free software - PC wizard 2008. It will show up the monitor information.
My 15.4 inch WUXGA (42T0407) is Samsung LTN154U2-L05.
Wondering anyone who get LG-Philips LP154WU1 is complaining here....

Patrick
T42p 2373HVU P M 745 (1.8GHz) WinXP Pro 2GB RAM ATI FireGL T2 128MB 15 UXGA
T61p 6459CTO C2D T9300 (2.5GHz 800MHz 6MBL2) Vista Business 3GB RAM NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M 15.4 WUXGA
aiiee
Punch Card
Views: 6,402
Message 94 of 239

to Supra , who asked if their screen is grainy:  My screen looks about as good as my X31 purchased 6 years ago, although tne T61p is brighter.  They both have a certain 'graininess' to them, I guess, but I've only the X31 to compare to, so it looks fine to me. 
supra97RX7
Punch Card
Views: 6,380
Message 95 of 239

@pattk wrote:
supra97RX7,

The Mfg part # is for Lenovo internal usage only.
You may download a free software - PC wizard 2008. It will show up the monitor information.
My 15.4 inch WUXGA (42T0407) is Samsung LTN154U2-L05.
Wondering anyone who get LG-Philips LP154WU1 is complaining here....

Patrick

well well... i have the LP154W02-TL06... it seems it is LG.

when i first received this, i knew it was a lot better than the LCD i had on the dell xps m1530, and that was a samsung - with absolutely horrendous viewing angles.

this is a lot better, but my LG is grainy (not as much), and not too bright - i find it is bright enough.

it's strange though.  my dad has a dell precision m4300 with an LG lcd, and its as good if not better than macbook pro LCDs, and anyone who has seen one can tell you it's probably the best LCD available.  no grain whatsoever, and a pure white screen is just amazing to look at.

perhaps it is color calibration or another simple adjustment??

it makes me want to swap the LCDs between my dad's and mine

Message Edited by supra97RX7 on 05-26-2008 10:49 PM
AreEss
Paper Tape
Views: 6,301
Message 96 of 239

I'm beginning to think I may have one of the worst case 15.4 1680 displays here.

I've turned down brightness seven notches, and it's still bad enough that my eyes are shot after 30 minutes. Past that, it is completely unusable. As it is, at 7, using the TPFLX profile, I can barely read some icon titles. White is gray, black is still dark gray in the lower half but indistingisuhable from the chassis at the top center. So I end up with nearly unreadable, or take it up a notch or two and find it painfully bright. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get this display to a comfortable balance.
T61p - 6460-7EU + UltraBays galore.
I'd rather be on a pSeries, but they're a bit heavy to carry around.
supra97RX7
Punch Card
Views: 6,203
Message 97 of 239

@AreEss wrote:
I'm beginning to think I may have one of the worst case 15.4 1680 displays here.

I've turned down brightness seven notches, and it's still bad enough that my eyes are shot after 30 minutes. Past that, it is completely unusable. As it is, at 7, using the TPFLX profile, I can barely read some icon titles. White is gray, black is still dark gray in the lower half but indistingisuhable from the chassis at the top center. So I end up with nearly unreadable, or take it up a notch or two and find it painfully bright. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get this display to a comfortable balance.

hm. i've noticed that my eyes do get pretty tired fast - i thought it was simply being sleepy, but maybe the LCD could be the reason why my eyes die so fast.  the strange thing is that i believe i have one of the better LCDs in comparison to other t61/p owners
penseur
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,155
Message 98 of 239

Re: T61 LCD quality - Dimming on bottom right

There is an issue that is growing in prevalency among T61 users and that is dimming on the bottom righthand side of the screen. I discovered this issue one day when I decided I didn't like having my taskbar at the bottom anymore. Browsing the internet, this issue is very obvious as light colored images are seen in the background of nearly all websites. Notebookreview.com users are also reporting this issue in this thread (http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=254551).

I have sent my laptop into Lenovo once and they replaced the inverter. Obviously this didn't do any good, and the issue was clearly evident within the screen. If not for all the other issues with the LCDs on the T61, this seems to me like a legitimate issue for T61 users to contest with Lenovo. An LCD should provide even enough lighting to the point where a white image is white, and not dim in certain areas. Hopefully this issue will be resolved with me sending in my Thinkpad for the second time.
Mitekk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,115
Message 99 of 239

Good day everyone,

I'm considering buying T61p laptop as it is the latest laptop of the T series.
My friends also suggested me buying IBM for their well known quality of laptops.
I've spent much time reading reviews and oppinions of others that have already purchased T61p.
My major concern now is its screen and I actualy didn't buy the computer yet just because I've seen a lot of people complaining about the screen quality.
I went visiting my friend yesterday who has T60p and I was pleased with everything about it.
My question is, is it really that much of a diffrence between the T60p and the T61p screens ?
As I understood they are not the same...

Thanks
Retired Guru
Views: 6,098
Message 100 of 239

I've used 2 T61's and both have good screens, the most recent arriving yesterday.  It is evenly lit and its not as dim as everyone makes it out to be. I suppose its hit or miss with these laptops, either you get a buggy one, or a great one, I've been fortunate enough to get 2 great ones.
T61 15.4" T9300 (2.5GHz 6MB L2) Windows 7 Professional x64 4GB Memory, NVidia Quadro NVS 140M

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors