Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZR601
Punch Card
Views: 8,694
Message 11 of 239

Re: T61 LCD quality

The mods here can probably provide a better answer on Monday, but I'll throw in my 2 cents... if you dealt with a salesperson, contact them ASAP with your concerns.  Calling tech support will probably be an exercise in frustration, since technically there's nothing wrong with the screen (don't get me wrong, from what you describe I would find it unacceptable also).  I had to do that for my system that had stuck pixels.  I got bupkus from tech support, whereas in 5 minutes my salesman arranged for a replacement system to be sent.

There are Lenovo representatives who check in on this board from time to time, another option might be to PM one (Mark Lenovo was one person I dealt with, he was very helpful in fixing a greatly delayed shipping situation).

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
techno_techie
Punch Card
Views: 8,643
Message 12 of 239

I will keep you updated.  I will call them today.  I was afraid that I had made a mistake opening the box because Dell has some incredible offers going on, which had finally matched the great deal I got on the Thinkpad T61.  I am so disappointed now because I wanted this machine to function for both work and play, but have recently seen many complaints on screen quality.  Hopefully I can get somewhere with tech support.  I bought this notebook through the internet, so I don't know what I can do.  Also, what does your warranty look like?  I have the basic warranty, so I am wondering if I should upgrade and then call to make things a little smoother. And, can you request a different manufacturer?  I don't want to take the chance with another of the same make.

This screen is driving me nuts. Smiley Sad

EDIT: I just called Tech Support and the lady I talked to was awesome.  She is sending me a box and I put in a request to have the screen replaced with one of a different manufacture, so I hope that makes a difference.  This screen is just really grainy.  I think the 14" guys are much better, for whatever reason.  I think there is a AUO one and LG one.  We'll see what happens.  Overall, things have gone over smoothly, but I will be taking pictures of my machine before it goes off.

Message Edited by techno_techie on 04-28-2008 06:52 AM
kurt
Paper Tape
Views: 8,595
Message 13 of 239

How long does the basic limited warranty last?  I bought my new T61 about 8 months ago and figured the screen was simply the result of a poor choice on my part while building.  Now that I'm seeing that this problem could have been resolved is it too late??

Message Edited by kurt on 04-28-2008 12:10 PM

Message Edited by kurt on 04-28-2008 01:52 PM
ZR601
Punch Card
Views: 8,596
Message 14 of 239

techno_techie:  I'm glad tech support treated you well.  When I called about stuck pixels, I was told that even if I shipped off the computer, the Depot would look at it, decide nothing was wrong, and ship it back.  That's why I had to resort to recontacting my salesman.

My replacement system shipped a couple of days ago.  According to the parts list, I'll end up with a Samsung monitor this time.  I don't think the Samsungs are as bad as the ones Dell used, but we'll see.  I wasn't expecting Sony Vaio quality certainly.

My warranty is the 3 year accidental damage protection.  I'm in graduate school and will be carrying the computer around campus.  Too many possibilities for an oh *#$%^ moment.

kurt:  You can check on your warranty status here:

Warranty Information

underwe8
Paper Tape
Views: 8,583
Message 15 of 239

Sent my T61 widescreen for LCD replacement about a month ago.   Was completely satisfied.  Sent on Tuesday and received at my door on Friday am.  Do not hesitate  to send  for  replacement.

Bill

BullDoc
Paper Tape
Views: 8,551
Message 16 of 239

Could you guys post what display sizes/resolutions you have?  I'm wondering if these complaints are are for T61 14.1", 15.4", or both.
Ben_J
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,506
Message 17 of 239

Mine is the 15.4" WSXGA+.

Full info here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=244788

Added clickable URL
-Mod

Message Edited by Tim_Lenovo on 05-05-2008 10:49 PM
justdisguy
Punch Card
Views: 8,491
Message 18 of 239

I received my t61p today and am not thrilled with the monitor either. It seems dim and the viewing angles aren't great. I've been reading this thread (and one another forum) with interest.

I have LCD DISPLAY FRU of 42TO329
LCD DISPLAY ASSEMBLY FRU as: 42X4641

(I've seen some confusion about the two FRUs vs. what's supposed to be in the hardware manual.)

Definitely interested if there's a better LCD panel available for this model. Invested a lot to get top of the line and feel like I'm looking at the middle.  Smiley Wink

techno_techie
Punch Card
Views: 8,432
Message 19 of 239

Here is what is going on - II have both parts listed: 42X4641 and 42T0329.  The latter is the part number for the LCD assembly from the T60 - it seems that Samsung (or Lenovo) has rebranded the LCD panel.  Now, I don't know if everyone and their mother who has this 42X4641 LCD panel has a dual listing.  It would be interesting to see if there is documentation of computers without the 42T0329 number accompanying the 42X4641.  So, if you know how to check your documentation, post if you have a double listing.  If there are some without, there may be a comparison to be had between the older LCD (which has the 42T0329) and a possible newer LCD with just a 42X4641 listing.  The display for me, right now, has a dirty look with whites and grays and a ripple gradient, so I have this night vision effect where, when looking directly on, I can see, but the edges get dark.

I think the 14.1" samsung monitors are pretty good.  I have heard a lot of satisfaction in researching the issue from that size.
techno_techie
Punch Card
Views: 8,438
Message 20 of 239

Thanks for your post, Bill!  That is very encouraging.  Do you know where your depot is located?  I am out of Atlanta, so if you are nearby, I hope that means good news for me!  I had them put "different manufacturer" in the notes.  I have had problems with other samsung products in the past (not their cellphones, though, which are very well made).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors