Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 9,117
Message 31 of 239

Re: T61 LCD quality

I think that is what Mark is trying to offer you, a replacement LCD as you requested, you have to pick up on the subtle messages he is trying to convey... if Lenovo wasn't going to replace the screen, they wouldn't pay couple hundred dollars of express courier to pick up the machine and then deliver back to you, they have enough knowledge of what is going on with the Samsung LCD to know what you are trying to describe and ultimately want...
justdisguy
Punch Card
Views: 9,115
Message 32 of 239

Well, I'm ready to take Mark up on his offer, if it still stands. (I guess I'm not much for subtlety...)

I called support and they were unwilling to do anything for me. The tech (who was at least nice about it) spoke with his supervisor and came back and told me that I should return the unit as I'm still within a certain window to do so.
penguinchris
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,112
Message 33 of 239

Mark - I want to take you up on this also - in fact it should be easy because my laptop is already in limbo at the Memphis repair center. Thanks so much.
Hackez
Punch Card
Views: 9,111
Message 34 of 239

Hey guys,

Mark is extremely busy so as he indicated in his previous post send him a PM if you want to take him up on his offer so to speak. Smiley Wink

Regards,

Jeremy
Former Administrator
Views: 9,079
Message 35 of 239

Thanks,

I appreciate Justdisguy and Penguinchris stepping up as volunteers.

Wjli2,

I appreciate your interpretation, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.  The intent is to bring in some systems so that engineering can evaluate them, and we can then proceed appropriately based upon the findings. 

I think it would be premature to make commitments regarding replacement of any components until we had a chance to evaluate them.

Mark

wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 9,042
Message 36 of 239

Of course if there is nothing wrong as you say, based on your screen tests back at engineering, then i don't think exchange is in order. But if there are things wrong with it, then i am sure Lenovo is not going to be like Apple Computer, whom just shrug it off and think their popularity is going to make you folk out couple hundred dollars to repair a manufacturing defects (i.e. Ipods and PowerPc iMac)...

So the message here is if you don't think there is anything wrong with your screen, then don't bother PM Mark about screen, but if T61p screen are truly in the quality state that some people described them in then a checkup as suggested by Mark's engineering team is in order..... but having bought that many LCD screen from Samsung, i know the emotional roller coaster people are going through.... Samsung clearly is going the way of Sony, quantity over quality...
techno_techie
Punch Card
Views: 8,975
Message 37 of 239

Disappointing display and no satisfaction from Lenovo tech depot...

I just want to relay to people who might purchase a computer from Lenovo: they should think twice about a T61 if they do photo editing because some T61s (15.4" T61s, the samsung for the 14.1" are actually very good so I hear) are stocked with horrible screens. I contacted Lenovo support to have my screen replaced because the OLD samsung monitor that they installed (with an FRU that does not coordinate with the parts manual because it is a T60 part) is not evenly backlit.  The tech support rep made it seem as if the screen would be replaced no problem with a different manufacturer's screen (as per my request because I have had bad experiences with Samsung laptop parts in the past).  I received the machine today and, lo, I still have awful backlighting, shimmering, and resolution bands in this display.  They replaced the LCD cable, which did nothing, and now, what I once thought would be an all around great machine is now less than optimal because of a poor parts choice.

Needless to say, I am very disappointed that I was misled - i.e., never told that the depot has to "evaluate" to see if my complaint is worthy of being validated.  The rep took down my notes and never said that I might receive the notebook back without a replacement LCD.  What I asked was quite reasonable, and I can say that the depot did not service my machine to satisfaction.  As someone that purchased for the purposes of both professional and personal use, the LCD panel is obviously an important aspect of the user experience, and if anything should be upgraded, it should be the screen.  For such a high resolution (1680x1050), I feel that Lenovo did not use a quality part, as numerous problems have been reported with the WSXGA+ screen (in particular).  This is a widespread complaint and problem, so buyer beware.

If you are looking for a fair warranty where customer satisfaction is important, Lenovo is not where you need to look.  I regret every moment buying my T61 because I spent money that was hard-earned for a product with service that was less than satisfactory.  Be patient in your research - despite all of mine, I still got stung.

Please note that this is specifically in reference to the T61 15.4" notebook.  There are considerably less reports of complaints about LCDs for the 14.1" notebooks.  I still standby my complaint of Lenovo customer satisfaction, though, when it comes to dealing with exercising the warranty for unsatisfactory products.

Message Edited by techno_techie on 05-09-2008 03:36 PM
wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 8,954
Message 38 of 239

Re: Disappointing display and no satisfaction from Lenovo tech depot...

i think Solectron is responsible for your replacements..... and also you should complain to Samsung too, regarding their substandard parts they are selling to their OEM manufacturers..... Lenovo outsource their manufacturing to Contract manufacturers, whom orders part on their behalf............. Samsung screen are just not up to the standards i think, the quality of their parts have degraded considerably in the recent years, properly going the way of Sony.............
sktn77a
802.11n
Views: 8,892
Message 39 of 239

Well, I think complaining to Samsung is the wrong way to go.  It just confuses the ultimate accountability.  It's Lenovo's product and Lenovo's responsibility to manage their suppliers and their quality.  While I generally think Lenovo make a good product, their recent offerings have some glaring flaws (motherboards on the T61p, LCD quality, turbo memory, etc, etc).

Keith
Currently 1xT460, 4xT430, 1xT420 Ideapad K1, H520S,
Formerly 1x600E, 1xT40, 1xT41, 2xT42, 2xT61p

wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 8,875
Message 40 of 239

not sure about turbo-memory, as its offered by intel......... and my comments on Samsung screen covers more than just Samsung LCD part for Laptop, i am taking about regular desktop Samsung LCD monitors, i got 3 (SyncMaster 940N, 920BW, 940BW) 19 inch model, all of which got the same problem of light leakage and uneven backlighting....

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors