Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

12 Posts

11-27-2009

Illinois

23 Signins

176 Page Views

• Views: 176
  • Message 1 of 9

T61 Locks up randomly-mouse moves but nothing is "clickable"

2010-01-06, 6:06 AM

I have an 18 month old T61 which had become "sluggish" over the past few months.  Then, about 2 months ago it began randomly "freezing up" where absolutely nothing worked on it other than my screen was still viewable and I could move the mouse.  That was of no benefit though because nothing was clickable.  I've tried searching for errors, but have found none, run scans, fixed errors, cleaned the registry, defragged...nothing has helped.  I'm running XP Pro SP3, have 160 GB drive with about 40% disk space remaining.  I have 2GB RAM and rarely have multiple programs running.  I use ESET Smart Security for my AV and scans show no malware (I've used a couple online scanners as well from reputable vendors...all of those come up clean as well).

This happens randomly during the course of the day.  I could be typing an email, searching google, adding to my crm, or anything else, when, without warning, everything stops.  The only way to get anything to work is to press the on/off button to shut off the computer to shut it down and turn it back on.  The only time this freeze CONSISTENTLY happens is in the morning when I try to wake-up the computer (I've tried different settings...but nothing seems to make a difference).  Whereas I used to be able to simply tap my mousepad and the computer would awaken, now nothing happens...it's locked up and I must shut the system down and restart.

In some forums I've seen where this could be a symptom of overheating.  My computer doesn't feel as though anything is running too warm though.

Any suggestions?  I'm still in warranty.

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: T61 Locks up randomly-mouse moves but nothing is "clickable"

2010-01-06, 7:00 AM

is it because of Rescue and Recovery backups? Go into start -> program -> thinkvantage -> Rescue and Recovery, now set the setting the backup to off, see whether that solves your problem. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

12 Posts

11-27-2009

Illinois

23 Signins

176 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2010-01-07, 12:17 PM

Thank you....but definitely did not resolve the issue.  The only time I CONSISTENTLY get a lock is when the computer has been idle for a very long time (like overnight).  So I've not been able to do any sort of active test to see whether any of the startup services is the culpret.  I wish there was something I could do to initiate a freeze....I'd start disabling startup services one by one until I found out if one of those might be the culpit.  I've also updated my drivers....again to no avail.

Still freezing up.

Options

2 Posts

01-09-2010

USA

2 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 4 of 9

2010-01-09, 15:28 PM

I am having the EXACT same problem as you.  Did you finally solve this?  If you have any clues please let me know!

Options

12 Posts

11-27-2009

Illinois

23 Signins

176 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2010-01-09, 15:38 PM

Nope!  I've spent many hours trying to find a resolution, updated, drivers, cleaned registry, scanned for malware using a variety of reputable scanners...all of which found nothing...checked memory (which is fine), computer not running hot (which apparently could cause this issue, but is not the cause of mine).  I've defragged and otherwise optimized my disk...no change.  Unfortunately, since the issue appears randomly, I can't readily "test" for a cause...I can't predictably do something which would cause the issue.  

VERY frustrating.

Options

1 Posts

01-13-2010

NSW, Australia

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 6 of 9

2010-01-13, 6:44 AM

I am also having problems with random "freezing", except I'm on an X200 running Vista Ultimate. Like you I also use ESET Smart Security.

My problems usually occur when I wake my laptop from sleep. The login process goes according to play (fingerprint login works), but after logging in and the desktop is displayed the system becomes unresponsive (mouse works, but nothing responds). There's also no HDD activity when it "freezes".

Occassionally it will "freeze" when I leave my laptop running and sitting idle for a short period of time.

These problems seem to have started around the time I switched to Smart Security (a few months ago), so I'm not sure if that is the issue. I've tried adding exceptions for all the Lenovo software but I don't seem to be having much luck so far.

Options

12 Posts

11-27-2009

Illinois

23 Signins

176 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2010-01-13, 12:10 PM

I've used Eset SS for about 18 months.  So if it IS related to Eset, it would have to be as a result of something that's changed in the last month or two since my computer has been very stable until recently.

I've called support a couple of times and so far they've just had me run several Lenovo diagnostics from the Lenovo Toolbox.  All scans have proven normal...including the various deep scans.  They had me run the system without the battery attached....system still locked up.  Next, I boot into safe mode before I go to be tonight to see if the computer is locked up when I get up tomorrow (since it "nearly" always is locked up when I get up in the morning...though oddly yesterday morning everything worked fine....this morning it was locked up again). 

Options

2 Posts

01-09-2010

USA

2 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 8 of 9

2010-01-28, 22:14 PM

I uninstalled the TP mouse drivers and started using a bluetooth mouse for the most part.  Also updated drivers etc.   Has been working fine since my last post but then today used my TP mouse and it locked up a bunch of times in a row.  Then is happened again while using my BT mouse.  So I am at a loss again.

It seems to happen the most when I switch programs however just as you point out it is mostly random so I can not test.  The funny thing is that it will work for a while without problems and then happen 3-4 times in a row soon after reboot.  (Windows system and error logs show nothing at the time of lockup).  Then it will just go back to working for a while...

Options

12 Posts

11-27-2009

Illinois

23 Signins

176 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2010-01-29, 3:22 AM

The only thing I've generally discovered is that I'm not experiencing freezes when I'm in safe mode (though I don't run on safe mode for more than a day, so I'm not sure that's something that holds true for the long term. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms