Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 7 (1,619 Views)

T61 Loose Hinge - Does the warranty cover this issue?

Hello, I bought the T61 in 2008 with 3 year warranty in USA. My T61 is showing the loose hinge problem which has been encountered by many other forum users. Right now I'm in Chennai, India and the Lenovo warranty center in Alwarpet, Chennai says the hinge problem is not covered under warranty. Could any one from Lenovo confirm this for me. Thank you, Thaniks
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Message 2 of 7 (1,617 Views)

Re: T61 Loose Hinge - Does the warranty cover this issue?

[ Edited ]

Well i was once told that Lenovo don't cover hinge problem by the Lenovo service personnel, but then on my second attempt and through some coercion they said yes. Mark_Lenovo did mention that the loose hinge is within the normal repair parameter, while many people in the USA have the hinge problem repaired under warranty.

This is the message that Mark_Lenovo sent me regarding the issue of hinge and warranty.

------------------------

The hinges should be covered under warranty.  Sometimes the staking of the pin inside the hinge fails - we have several designs - some are "D" shaped which can become rounded, and some are epoxied I believe.   It is also possible that the screws have loosened which hold the hinge to the LCD frame or to the chasis - the locktite did not hold.  If you are in warranty, I would expect us to cover this unless there were visible signs of abuse (like dent or abrasion from being dropped).

----------------------------

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Punch Card
Message 3 of 7 (1,586 Views)

I had loose hinges in my T61 and service center (in Poland) changed hinges - without any charge, on warranty. Now hinges works well.

Blue Screen Again
Message 4 of 7 (855 Views)

I have broken hinge situation, but the hinge had some play  before. The play didnot hinder the operation or ability to hold the lid on one place. It was not like when i move the lid would sway.  But they were definitely not tight.

Now depot repair says , preventive maintenance should have been taken when I noticed the initial play. Is there any documented policy about this.

The person at the depot says broken hinges are not covered under the warranty anytime.  They should not have sent a box in the first place. This machine is in US.

Message 5 of 7 (836 Views)

broken hinge? you mean it snapped?

Also, what is preventive maintenance? that is the first time i have heard this term being thrown around.
Regards,

Jin Li

Blue Screen Again
Message 6 of 7 (803 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes lead_org, it snapped and half piece stayed in its place inside the bezel.  I didnot know that the piece was disconnected so I tried to open and it close once , which caused the bezel plastic where is covers the hinge to open up.

At that stage I closed the lid and opened up a case to ship the box. I did take pictures before shipping the laptop , the laptop was never dropped, there were no body cracks or any other damages other than the broken hinge and lcd bezel plastic bending where the broken piece is in contact.

Only the right hinge is broken, the left one is intact.

Preventive maintenance was the first time I heard for electonic items from any hardware vendors.

Message 7 of 7 (778 Views)

Okay, i see what you mean.
Regards,

Jin Li