Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sarcaz
Paper Tape
Views: 19,893
Message 1 of 12

T61 Microphone unusable by software after driver upgrade

Subject says it all.  I went from driver 5.10.1.5410 to 5.10.1.5670 and now my microphone does not work.  I upgraded because my volume output is now much better on my T61 7662-CTO (I previously had a low volume problem which is now fixed with this update).

The microphone worked before, and was recognized by software.  Now it works if I unmute the mic volume in my sound volume adjustments.  I also have the sound volume turned up in the recording volume preferences.  I can hear my sound out of the PC speakers, but I'm unable to use it for any applications.  If I run sndrec32 / Sound Recorder, no sound is heard from the software's perspective.

Here is what I have tried:

Uninstall soundmax driver / reboot
Uninstall KB888111 HD driver / reboot
Install KB888111 HD driver / reboot
Install latest soundmax driver / reboot

I'd really prefer not to revert to the driver I'm having a volume problem with (unless there's a volume hack).  Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
JR

Honvon
Punch Card
Views: 19,891
Message 2 of 12

Re: T61 Microphone unusable by software after driver upgrade

Hi, it seems the mic is working. Did u install other sound device as well? like webcam with built-in mic. My mic was disabled by my webcam's mic. I just adjusted the setting and the problem was gone.
sarcaz
Paper Tape
Views: 19,887
Message 3 of 12

Thanks for the reply.  I have no additional sound devices installed that would hinder the functionality of the mic.  Also, it worked OK before the driver "upgrade."
nobody
Paper Tape
Views: 19,718
Message 4 of 12

Hi,

downgrading the driver resolves this issue. Version 5.10.1.5410 is here in case you need it.
If download doesn't start automatically click on download site 1 link under Featured Downloads.

Cheers.

Message Edited by nobody on 03-28-2008 10:09 PM
Dover
Paper Tape
Views: 19,501
Message 5 of 12

We had the exact same problem with our X61 tablets.  Manufac. image works fine.  If we took the manufac. image, ran system update, and ONLY updated the audio drivers and made NO other changes to the laptop, it took the driver from 5410 to 5670 and the mic stopped working.  Called Lenovo support, spent way too much time on the phone with them, getting transfered back and forth.  We were finally told by Lenovo support that "security reasons" prevented them from giving us the old driver.  Maybe there is a new homeland security bill about old audio drivers that I didnt know about.  Anyways got the old driver from the lin on this page, reinstalled and all is working great.

I do not think Lenovo support could have been more worthless.  Google 1 Lenovo support 0
sarcaz
Paper Tape
Views: 19,470
Message 6 of 12

Dover,
Well put.  It's too bad this crummy old driver has poor volume relative to the new one, but at least the microphone works.

DDD
What's DOS?
Views: 19,437
Message 7 of 12

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem - R61 77324SG. The internal mic becomes functional after you plug an external microphone into the MicIn and then unplug it.
kinhvanhoa
What's DOS?
Views: 19,119
Message 8 of 12

Same here. It's weird anyway.
Before I try your suggestion, I have a question about KB888111HD driver. What is it?
Is it on my ADD/REMOVE? Where can I get that driver?
kinhvanhoa
What's DOS?
Views: 19,098
Message 9 of 12

Sorry for the mess. I'd like to clarify my question. There are two UAA drives available in Lenovo's website: One is osdc01us and the other is kb888111xp2en. Do I have to install both of them? Or just kb888111xp2en ?
icantux
802.11n
Views: 19,094
Message 10 of 12

KB888111 is only a Microsoft "patch" that allows XP to see digital soundcards. It should be installed before installing the Lenovo sound drivers, otherwise XP will not see any audio hardware if you only install the Lenovo drivers. So, yes - you do need both, but install KB888111xp2en first, and then install Lenovo's sound drivers.

BTW, there is a workaround (not quite elegant) regarding Lenovo's newer sound drivers and the external mic problem. If you do have the new drivers installed and want to get the external mic working, plug an external microphone into the mic jack and then immediately remove it, the external mic will gain functionality. Strange, but true.

Message Edited by icantux on 04-26-2008 05:36 PM

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals