Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JousterL
Paper Tape
Views: 4,358
Message 1 of 22

T61: Problems with Hardware Interrupts when on battery

Not entirely sure, but was wondering if anyone else had experienced this.

I recently updated my T61 laptop with the included System Update tool. I'm fairly regular in my checks (every other week or so)... and noticed some disturbing behavior after updating the Power Management Software and driver off this utility.

Specifically, this behavior manifests itself as 30-40% of my CPU being taken up as "Hardware Interrupts" according to Process Explorer. Task Manager shows the CPU used, but reports 99% as "Idle Process". This wouldn't be a big problem except that it only occurs when the laptop is running on battery (generally after about a minute on battery). This saps my battery time, and it also lags -everything- down (even the mouse cursor).

A temporary solution is to sleep the machine and then power it back on, and then I get another minute before the Hardware Interrupts kick on.

Any suggestions?

maderator note: type added.

Message Edited by Agotthelf on 02-04-2009 10:32 AM
madhu1977
Paper Tape
Views: 4,286
Message 2 of 22

Re: Problems with Hardware Interrupts when on battery

Hello,

I have the exact same problem on my R61 Laptop. I recently changed my OS to Windows XP and had to download all the drivers using the system update tool. This issue has been bothering me for a couple of weeks now. I also took help of a local hardware technician and he actually reformatted my hard disk and made a clean install of XP. This however didnt solve the issue. I have tried to disable every hardware and still no use

I called Lenovo Support on Friday to report this issue. One of the things they suggested was to go into the power management utility and go to the advanced mode and set the system to Maximum Performance on both Battery & AC Power.

The problem does not completely go away but you can have the system working for about 30 min before the hardware interrupts come back again. Atleast we dont have to sleep the machine and then power it back on every 2 minutes Smiley Happy

Hope this helps..

JousterL
Paper Tape
Views: 4,218
Message 3 of 22

Well... that's all well and good, except I'm still between a rock and a hard place. On the one hand, I can set my power management to conserve the battery, and Hardware Interrupts starts pulling 30% of the CPU, or thereabouts, sapping down the battery.

OR

I can set it to maximum performance mode, at which I don't have as big a problem with the interrupts (although they still show up after a bit of use), but my screen is at full brightness, the CPU isn't dropping the frequency any, and my battery is sapped through normal computer use.

It's pretty sad that I can't get through a 75 minute class without hooking up an external battery to my computer. -.- I wish Lenovo could isolate this problem and fix it, as it's the first problem I've had since I got this laptop, timeframe a year and change.

madhu1977
Paper Tape
Views: 4,214
Message 4 of 22

I called up Lenovo Customer Service and reported the issue, hopefully the next driver release will fix this issue. I have also removed the Lenovo Power Management Drive from the Add/Remove program. See if this helps you in any way and let the power manager be set at Maximum Peformance..

Madhu

CoBrA2168
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,081
Message 5 of 22

Hi guys,

I just posted an issue related to this "hardware interrupts" but i think that the issue resides in the video drivers, not the power management software.  I noticed this after updating my video drivers, and that is why.

A new release was just released a few weeks ago, did that solve the issue for any of you guys? I'm still experiencing a problem, which leads me to believe its a video driver issue.

madhu1977
Paper Tape
Views: 4,079
Message 6 of 22

when was this new driver released, I am still using V 1.52, system update utility doesnt show any new driver? Have you tried doing something with the video driver then?
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 4,074
Message 7 of 22

Hello,

did the interrupt start after quiet the same time, when on battery?

Then please go to start, control panel, task planer and delete the PM task.

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T430s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

CoBrA2168
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,045
Message 8 of 22

@Agotthelf wrote:

Hello,

did the interrupt start after quiet the same time, when on battery?

Then please go to start, control panel, task planer and delete the PM task.

I don't think I quite understand you.

I actually have reason to believe it is NOT the video driver now, since this happens when I either: 1) Unplug the power cord, or 2) Plug in the power cord.

Either time, I get 30-40% CPU usage whenever this happens. The only way to stop it is to restart the computer.

What does deleting the PM task do?

JousterL
Paper Tape
Views: 3,970
Message 9 of 22

I don't have anything in Scheduled Tasks under my Control Panel, besides the "Add a new Task" icon.

I'm almost sure it's the power management driver, and not the video driver, because it -only- happens when I'm on battery power. 

Currently, it starts malfunctioning in this regard after ~3 minutes of battery use. Accompanying this hardware interrupt is a quiet, high-pitched whine (similar to what you might hear from an old CRT screen that you can hear the refresh from).

It's frustrating to be in a class and be sleeping the computer, then waking it up -every three minutes-. In fact, I would say it's downright debilitating.

Lenovo? A solution?

Quinones
What's DOS?
Views: 3,939
Message 10 of 22

Same issue here. I've also suffered from system hangs that can be categorized as follows:

- After running for a few days without rebooting, system starts to hang intermittently (mouse pointer stops moving as well).

- System hangs for 10 seconds and then works again for 3 seconds before it hangs for another 10 seconds.

- While in this state, if I try to go into Standby or Hibernate, Windows complains that it can't because the Wireless network adapter won't go to sleep.

Not sure if the high hardware interrupts usage has anything to do with the intermittent system hang, but both the hang and the high interrupt usage is experienced after repeatedly connecting and disconnecting power.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals