Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
farhan
Punch Card
Views: 1,640
Message 1 of 8

T61 - Serious Battery Problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hello, im a t61 user for the past 8 months. i have a 6-cell battery. the battery was working fine untill one day (w weeks ago)  the condition of the battery turned from good to fair. i decided to reset the battery guage and after that reset my battery condition turned from fair to poor and ever since that day my battery is continuously decreasing the storage capacity. my battery the could store about 49 % of charge but within 9 days of that reset my battery has dropped down to 15% of charge storage . help!

any solution?? what is wrong?? is there any way to fix this problem?

mFn
MarkATL
WWAN
Views: 1,618
Message 2 of 8

Re: T61 - Serious Battery Problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi mFn,

Sounds like you're having problems with the battery. If your battery doesnt charge anymore after resetting the battery guage, you need another battery. Either your cells are going out or there is a problem with the smart chip on the battery. Remember that Li-Ion batteries will eventually wear after about 600-800 power cycles. Contact tech support to see about getting a replacement. 

Cheers,

Mark

Do NOT PM me with technical issues. Post in the forum for assistance. Thanks
farhan
Punch Card
Views: 1,610
Message 3 of 8

hello Mark,

well my cycle count is 175, voltage is 12.5 V, temperature is  between 34-39C, manufacture date is 29-04-2008 and first use date is 07-2008, design capacity is 56.16Wh and currently the full charge capacity is 8.54Wh. do you think the battery has worn out due to some other reason? oh its important to mentionthat while Battery Guage Reset i had a power outage and i had to start the proces again. 

any solution?

thanks,

mFn
sktn77a
802.11n
Views: 1,607
Message 4 of 8

Can't speak specifically to your issue with the T61 but I've had similar problems with my T42 batteries (2) - falling into the yellow (25% and 50% remaining capacity, respectively), so I "reconditioned" them a couple of times within about a 1 week period and they are now both in the red!  So I don't think I'm going to be using the ThinkVantage power management battery reconditioning program again.
Keith
Currently 2xT460, 4xT430, Ideapad K1, H520S,
Formerly 1x600E, 1xT40, 1xT41, 2xT42, 2xT61p, 1xT420

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,590
Message 5 of 8

Hi farhan!

First, if your battery is less than one year old, get it replaced under warranty.

Next, here's something I wrote in answer to a similar question a few weeks ago:

Unfortunately batteries are more chemical than electronic. The Lithium-ion battery technology used in most laptop batteries should last at least a year, but can last longer. How long the battery lasts depends on its environment, how it is used, and its age. Heat, and the number of charge/discharge cycles are big factors.The most informative description of the technology I know of is The Battery University. There is a nice section on How to prolong lithium-based batteries. As it points out there, "A lithium-ion battery in use typically lasts between 2-3 years" but "If used on main power, the battery inside a laptop will only last for 12-18 months"

My personal experience is that my laptop batteries last 12-18 months, but then I just use them and don't take any precautions to prolong their life. Like car batteries, you have to replace them before you replace the car. That's just where the technology is. But we should keep pushing for improvements!

Lastly, I've also seen the ThinkVantage Power Manager Battery Gauge Reset tip marginal batteries over the edge, but in every case, the battery had served me well, was over a year old, and well-used. My experience is that the Battery Gauge Reset certainly can give you extra run time from healthy batteries.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
farhan
Punch Card
Views: 1,536
Message 6 of 8

thanks for the reply.. the only problem is that i bought the laptop 2 or 3 months prior to the first use, since i was out of country for three months so unfortunately the laptop is out of warranty. and the worst part it right after fifteen days of warranty ending the battery started to get worse. otherwise i would have claimed the warranty..

now my question is that since the battery is designed for a voltage of 10.80 V and the voltage its getting is 12.38. can this be the reason for the battery life degradation?

and is it possible to just buy the cells and install them into the battery by some professional?
mFn
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,530
Message 7 of 8

Doh!

It's normal for the voltage to be above the design minimum voltage.

I think by the time you build your own battery you might wish you'd just bought a new one. Plus if you don't do it right there are risks - these things store a lot of energy.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,506
Message 8 of 8

The battery rebuild for the newer Lenovo thinkpads are not easy.. as the there is severe restriction imposed by the control chip in the OEM battery.... i have tried it with batteries for the X60/61 and T60/T61 none ended up working...
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors