Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 1 of 6 (21,451 Views)

T61 Very Hot! (T7700 CPU)

Hi all,

I have been using my T61 (7662-CTO) since May 2007. Recently I have been doing some heavy number crunching on it and noticed it has been getting very hot. I installed TPFanControl V0.55 and discovered that the CPU temperature was rising to 90˚C and sitting at mid 60’s during idle.

Although hot, the idle temperature is not alarming and did not cause me to be suspicious. I often leave the computer unattended when I let it do the number crunching – so it has taken me a while to notice it has been overheating. The fan is running nice and quietly at 3773RPM. In short, I am not too sure how long this has been a problem.

I have a T7700 processor installed. It has been difficult getting temperature figures for this chip in a T61. Forum posts seem to suggest idle/low CPU usage should create temperatures in the 40’s while heavy CPU usage should raise the temperature to 70’s.

Need I be alarmed guys?

When I have the spare time I will try cleaning the fan and see if that improves the situation. Worst comes to worst I will have to replace the fan. I am out of warranty and would hate to lose access to my laptop during the working week – so I have considered replacing the fan myself. I looked up replacement parts for T series 7662 machines and found:

• Toshiba (42W2462) - ~$77 AUD
  • Furukawa (44C0557) - ~$63 AUD
(At the IBM spare parts site)

What is the difference between these parts? I am reasonably technically inclined and have found the videos on the Lenovo Service and Support Training site detailing how the fan can be removed. Is attempting this procedure best left to service centres?

For now, by running my laptop on the “Maximum Battery Life” power plan and setting TPFanControl to 7 when in Manual mode, I can achieve a CPU temperature in the low 50s with low usage.

I would be grateful if anyone with a T61, T7700 could tell me what temperatures their CPU is generating under idle and heavy loads.

Thanks in advance!

Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!
Fanfold Paper
Message 2 of 6 (21,397 Views)

Re: T61 Very Hot! (T7700 CPU)

If the fan is running nice and quietly, probably that is not the source of your problem.  Since your computer is almost 2 years old, it could be full of dust so you may need to open it up and clean it out. Look up the Hardware Maintenance Manual for your T61if you don't know how to open it up.

If you're still under warranty check with Lenovo first to make sure you won't void it.

Microsoft MVP Contributor
Message 3 of 6 (21,367 Views)

What GPU are you using and what is the ambient temperature of the environment in which you are using your laptop???

The temperature you are posting for the T7700 under load is slightly on the high side, but given that you are putting some high CPU cycle on to it, then the temperature can be expected to reach 90 Celsius, especially for the T7xxx series of C2D, which are known to run quite hot due to the higher TPD. 

Have you checked whether your heat vent is clogged with dusts??? 

My T61 with X3100 GPU and T7500 CPU runs at around 75 Celsius under load. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 4 of 6 (21,325 Views)

jimbob83, lead_org

Thanks for your replies. I didn’t extend the warranty so Im going to try a DIY solution. As you both suggested, I think it is worth checking if the Fan is clogged with dust. Externally, it looks pretty clean. The vents are completely free of any obstructions.

lead_org,

• My GPU is the NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M
  • At a guess I would say that ambient temperatures my laptop experiences are around 22˚C at work and Sydney temperatures at home (25ish at the moment).

Since my first post I’ve noticed I can modulate the heat output by the chip fairly well by meddling with the power settings (unsurprisingly). When the power settings favour battery life, the heat output under a heavy load is in the mid 60’s. It is nice being able to fully exploit the CPU’s performance when running intensive applications but this is when the 90+ temperatures are experienced. It takes about 4mins to rise from 62 to 90.

Cheers!

Microsoft MVP Contributor
Message 5 of 6 (21,308 Views)

i suggest you open it up, and have a look whether there is any dusts that have been collecting in the heat vent, you will be surprised how much dusts can accumulate in the T61 in one years time.

Here is the Hardware manual that tells you how to remove the various components in your laptop.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-67980.html

Given that you have the nvidia chip, then it is within reason that the temperature of your laptop reaches that temperature, if there are dusts clogging the vent.

You can never go wrong, with some regular maintenance of modern day laptop.  

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 6 of 6 (21,253 Views)

Great success!

I cleaned out the fan and my laptop is running much cooler now! I must say, I am surprised at how big a difference a small amount of dust can make.

For anyone who wants a bench mark for a T61 (7662-CTO)with:

•  a T7700 CPU
  •  a NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M GPU

Using TPFanControl V0.55 on BIOS mode I am achieving:

• 54˚C at idle
  • 72˚C under a heavy load

Thanks for your help guys!

Top kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count