Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DarrellB
Paper Tape
Views: 4,525
Message 1 of 10

T61 Vista-to-XP Downgrade: Product Recovery failed to restore your system

Hello. After 6 months of hating Vista and running XP as as a virtual PC I decided to give up and downgrade to XP. I paid for the Rescue & Recovery CD set which comes with the Product Recovery CDs. I followed the instructions precisely and ran the Restore factory contents. It seemed to load successfully from all 6 discs and the Supplemental disc. Then when the Product Recovery process started, it got part-way through and stopped with the message "Product Recovery failed to restore your system". That's it...no way out. I reinstalled and got the same result. Called Lenovo support and they won't help unless I cough up another $99!
Thanks in advance for any help.
My T61 product code: 6465CTO
Darrell
T61P, T30
XP pro
rec630
Token Ring
Views: 4,495
Message 2 of 10

Re: T61 Vista-to-XP Downgrade: Product Recovery failed to restore your system

I suppose it's possible you have a bad recovery CD, but perhaps try your own reformat of the HD first  before booting with the Recovery CD and restoring.   The recovery process should do this anyway.  I'm assuming Vista is now gone and the machine isn't booting, otherwise the recovery process didn't get very far,
DarrellB
Paper Tape
Views: 4,489
Message 3 of 10

Thanx for the reply.
I don't think there's anything wrong with the CDs...they run to completion. It's after the last one that I get the halt.
Yes, R&R has reformatted my H/D and banished Vista to software purgatory. I'm starting with a clean slate. All I really need is to get XP installed and I can load the apps myself if need be.
DB
Darrell
T61P, T30
XP pro
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 4,471
Message 4 of 10

DarellB, welcome to the forum,

if you prees the ThinkVantage button does it load R&R? If so the cds will have created the service partition, maybe you could try recovering from there.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

DarrellB
Paper Tape
Views: 4,434
Message 5 of 10

Hi Andy.
R&R is still open and working. The problem is with the Product Recovery. If I reboot, it comes right back to R&R so I'm stuck in a vicious circle. I don't know what to do from this point.
Any ideas?
Thanx!
Darrell
T61P, T30
XP pro
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 4,428
Message 6 of 10

Have you turned your TP off by holding the power switch pressed down untill it turns off?

Edit, Typo

Message Edited by andyP on 06-19-2008 10:03 PM

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

DarrellB
Paper Tape
Views: 4,425
Message 7 of 10

Hi Andy.
Yes, I did that and it boots right back into R&R.
Darrell
T61P, T30
XP pro
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 4,423
Message 8 of 10

When you start it do you get the message; "To interrupt  ... press the ThinkVantage button" ?

If you do, when you press the TV button do you get a menu F1 - BIOS, F12 Boot Menu, F11 Recover ?

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

DarrellB
Paper Tape
Views: 4,402
Message 9 of 10

Andy, It looks like I solved the problem. I reinstalled with factory settings from R&R, but instead of choosing FULL this time I chose CUSTOM. I deselected a few apps, and XP loaded fine.
I don't know if you can answer this question....My T61 originally came with Vista Business and Office 2007 pre-installed. Should Office XP have come with my downgrade package?
Thanx, Darrell
Darrell
T61P, T30
XP pro
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 4,344
Message 10 of 10

I'm not sure of the policies in the US and can't answer exactly. Here in Europe TPs come with a Office 2007 60 day test version, this can be converted to a full version by purchasing an OEM licence. These are MLK (Media Less Kit) licences with no cd, the cd can be ordered through MS.

As I said, I don't know for the USA, an example of "sales, service, and product options may not be consistent country to country" Smiley Wink

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors