Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markg2
Token Ring
Views: 1,047
Message 1 of 5

T61--Win7 --> Win10: Trouble in paradise

I started an upgrade yesterday on the Lenovo T61 from 7 to 10, Media Tool launched from desktop/Upgrade this PC. The 10 download completed/Updates completed (having to /services/restart same 3-4 times). At the first Install reboot the machine hung at the light blue box with twirling thing below and no disk activity for ~15 minutes. I had no choice but to cold boot. Upon which the installer screen appeared (paraphrasing) install failed, reverted to your Win7 and an error code that fell in to a general category of codes referenced in the attached MS error help file (attached).

I downloaded and ran the lastest version of the Lenovo update tool--twice. No updates available, zero/nada. I was really hoping to find a driver problem. I then ran MS Windows update last night thinking it might find an optional driver. MS update is still running 'checking for updates' this morning after ~12 hours. The last time this machine's updates were installed was 1/15/17. I will cancel updates since it's obviously not working.

Frankly, once the Win10 process goes to boot the first time I can see little value in a having totally up to date Win7.

There is the slim possibility that the first boot just got randomly stuck and the error code/failure was a result of my cold booting out of the screen--I really doubt it.

Before I trudge through MS very long list of helpful ideas I figured I'd ask in the event someone has a more clever idea?

(EDIT): Service/restart updates--complete, no updates. When I successfully did an 8-10 on another laptop I had used the 10 .cab file and in this instance I had an .iso on the desktop (since MCT did its own dl I doubt this made an difference). And as stated earlier I doubt MS updates would have had a bearing absent drivers.

Additionally, the drive has 41GB free.

Mark

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,006
Message 2 of 5

Re: T61--Win7 --> Win10: Trouble in paradise

I would run windows update before upgrading, but first there are 2 updates needed to get by a problem in searching for updates.

Try this:

Update servicing stack: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=46817

Then apply this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53332

Then retry windows update

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
markg2
Token Ring
Views: 995
Message 3 of 5

Re: T61--Win7 --> Win10: Trouble in paradise

Update servicing stack has been running for 28 minutes. I know my drive is a dog but you really think the app is actually working?

On a broader level, why would the Win 10 installer care what updates Win 7 has, it's replacing the OS?

indra8055
Blue Screen Again
Views: 582
Message 4 of 5

Re: T410--Win7 --> Win10: Trouble in paradise

i have a hdd 2100 error in my thinkpad laptop is my data in the hard drive is safe or not is it safe then how can  i acess the data please help me !!!! my important data is in that hard drive ! 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 475
Message 5 of 5

Re: T410--Win7 --> Win10: Trouble in paradise

The 2100 can be the drive or the motherboard.  If it is the motherboard that is bad, you can mount the drive in another machine.  If the drive has failed,, you are probably out of luck, but you migght try it in a USB housing because that has slower access.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals