Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ageedoy
Paper Tape
Views: 28,931
Message 1 of 24

T61 Won't Turn On

So a little back story... I was working on my laptop late last night when my laptop locked up.  I was too tired to see if I could wait it out, so I closed the lid and went to sleep.  When I woke up this morning the laptop was off and will not power on anymore.  Any idea what happened or how to remedy this?  I've tried multiple chargers with no luck, and I don't have another battery that I can try out.  When the laptop is plugged in, none of the LEDs light up.

Here's my setup:

T61 14" WSXGA+

T7300

2 GB

X3100

Intel AGN

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

mixz1
Broadband 3G
Views: 28,856
Message 2 of 24

Re: T61 Won't Turn On

No promises, but there is a solution (with multiple variations) that sometimes works. It has the ring of waving a chicken over your head 10 times, but is actually a procedure recommended by support.

1. Unplug the power brick.
  2. Remove the battery.
  3. Press the on-off button 15 times.
  4. After the last press, press again and hold down for 30 seconds.
  5. Reassemble everything and see if it starts.

If this fails you are probably up against a new system board. Let the board know what happens. Good luck!

ageedoy
Paper Tape
Views: 28,835
Message 3 of 24

Any other voodoo dances I can try?  That one didn't work.  I'm really kicking myself for not extending my warranty now.
mixz1
Broadband 3G
Views: 28,833
Message 4 of 24

I think you're in for a new motherboard. Sorry.
ageedoy
Paper Tape
Views: 28,828
Message 5 of 24

D'oh... I was afraid of that.  Do you know about how much that would cost me? Debating whether I should pick up something new with Monteniva instead....
ConnectDon
Greps Everything
Views: 28,810
Message 6 of 24

@ageedoy wrote:
Any other voodoo dances I can try?

See here and here.  I would try them without the AC adapter, just in case it makes a difference.

Don

morik
Punch Card
Views: 28,704
Message 7 of 24

another strange notebook death.

other users, icluding me, with the same *exact* problem.

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=T_Series_Thinkpads&message.id=15221

http://forum.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=T_Series_Thinkpads&thread.id=12504

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=T_Series_Thinkpads&thread.id=15400

sound little strange to me....have yu done some software updates, like bios or video drivers recently?

Message Edited by morik on 09-04-2008 03:40 AM
Message Edited by morik on 09-04-2008 03:41 AM
jddotman
What's DOS?
Views: 28,620
Message 8 of 24

Had the same issue 4 months ago.  The remove battery and A/C and push power button then hold method worked the first time this happened (tech support says some capacitors on the MB get overcharged sometimes this bleeds the charge off).  Happened again a few weeks ago.  Took to repair shop, they replaced the MB it powers on with A/C only, but said there was an issue with the battery.  If it is in the system then it flashes bios then turns off.  Well got a new battery yesterday and it gets slightly further (XP splash screen) but then powers off.  Strangest thing is safe mode with the battery in works, Normal mode with A/C only works, but normal with the battery (on or off of A/C) powers off.  Also the laptop on A/C or in safe mode on battery freezes up quite a bit.  Any ideas?  Taking back to the shop next week.
morik
Punch Card
Views: 28,591
Message 9 of 24

I ended by replacing the motherboard.
orkobaba
What's DOS?
Views: 26,557
Message 10 of 24

I am having a problem with my Lenovo T61 laptop. One day I put my laptop on sleep mode and closed it. When I came back I saw the sleep light beeping. The computer was not turning on so I held the on/off button to shut it down. When I tried turning it on again, it wouldn't turn on. The lights go on showing that the computer is on but I dont hear the fan spinning. The screen does not even turn on. The computer is dead but with the lights on.

Hoping to get some suggestions.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals