cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
van_Houten
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,064
Message 1 of 5

T61 configuration hassle after XP-downgrade (Intel Integrated Graphics, R&R, SystemUpdate)

Hi all,

this is my first post in this forum and all i have to offer are unsolved problems, which i would like to apologize for... ;}

The thing is that i purchased a T61 for actually improving my personal workflow and so far it turned out to be the opposite, maybe due to my "this would make sense, why isn't it that way?"-approach.

To tell the story briefly:

I downgraded the T61 (model#: 6463-4yg, integrated Intel graphics, windows vista business preinstalled) to windows XP after making a set of product-recovery CD's.

The problems i encountered and that somehow bug me to this day are:

[1]

when i reinstall my system using the recovery-cd's i made with windows Vista, Thinkvantage "Rescue & Recovery" is gone, though it was definetly installed when i made the backup. Accordingly, the blue Thinkvantage-button does not do anything at startup but complaining and telling me to press "Ctrl+Alt+Del" because MBR seems to be faulty.

[2]

Updating  "Rescue & Recovery" from the factory installed version 3.x to 4.x, which was done by SystemUpdate under Vista rendered the factory-provided system backup on the hidden partition invisible to "R&R" and thus absolutely useless.

[3]

After downgrading from Vista to XP, there are 2 devices listed as graphics adapter in the device manager, when under Vista it was only one. Having the Intel media accellerator driver updated once more from the lenovo homepage didn't change anything and viewing the system information shows, that the terrible graphics performance might have to do with the graphics adapter using not more than 10 or 13MB at any moment, no matter what application runs.

... so i thought that maybe it is all my fault and i am just not competent enough or meant to do anything on my TP on my own. So i tried to install Lenovo SystemUpdate from their homepage to do all the dirty driver work for me, but...

[4]

Trying to install SystemUpdate once more under windows XP fails every time, telling that the services started by the installation

are being stopped and undone and that my system is now the same that it was before the installation attempt.

Everything else on this machine i somehow could figure out, but these MINOR errors keep resisting any treatment.

So if anyone of you guys happen to have encountered any of this behaviour and could shed some light how to resolve one or the other, please don't hesitate... this could really lighten up my days.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions in advance!

best regards!

v.H.

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,059
Message 2 of 5

Re: T61 configuration hassle after XP-downgrade (Intel Integrated Graphics, R&R, SystemUpdate)

van_Houten,

you have me confused;

van_Houten wrote:

I downgraded the T61 ... to windows XP after making a set of product-recovery CD's.

and then you write;

[1]

when i reinstall my system using the recovery-cd's i made with windows Vista,

and then;

[3]

After downgrading from Vista to XP

Which OS do you now have installed? What are exactly the problems you are experiencing at the moment? 

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

van_Houten
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,048
Message 3 of 5

Re: T61 configuration hassle after XP-downgrade (Intel Integrated Graphics, R&R, SystemUpdate)

Sorry, i didn't mean to confuse you Smiley Wink

The problem i am struggling with the most at the moment is the graphics-adapter issue on windows XP.

The story so far was that i got the T61 with vista installed and i made the recovery-cd's as recommended. 

Then i tried to get along with vista and it turned out that i don't like/need/want it and i downgraded to XP, knowing that

i could switch back to vista in case i needed it.

Under XP, the graphics driver problem occurred and i couldn't find a solution, so after a while i switched back to vista because 

i need at least some humble graphics to get any work done.

So the problem is, while under Vista the onboard graphics card seems to take as much memory as necessary,

under XP it refuses to use more than 10MB. Maybe there is a hidden setting which i missed?

Thanks by the way for your reply!

van_Houten

van_Houten
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,010
Message 4 of 5

Hi all

(.... or whoever reads this)

searching through a few forums and empathisingly reading other people's problems with Rescue & Recovery, i pretty much gave up on what used to be problem [1] and [2]. 

I called the lenovo support to handle problem [3] as a last resort and was pretty astonished that they, if anything, advised me to do the exact opposite of what could have helped to at least find the root to the problem... unfortunately they seem to be better trained at filing customers' data than troubleshooting.

so in this case i at least learned not call them again and stick to searching forums in case of need.

So now i hope someone can help me with what remains unclear to me:

- is there a way to manually delete any data written by an R&R backup-run (completed or aborted, independently of it's version) to either the local hard-drive AND/OR to an external USB-drive?

- when using the command-line-tool of R&R and copying a local backup to an external usb-drive, will this copy be in a hidden folder as well and thus protected from access?

- if a backup is stored to an external usb-drive, will the data already present on this drive be affected in any way?

big thanks in advance for any hints!

best regards...

van_Houten
Fanfold Paper
Views: 943
Message 5 of 5

Hi,

searching forums i encountered several posts which described problems but unfortunately declined to provide a solution, once  it was found.

Therefore (and in case i should ever need it again) here is my little cheat sheet how to remove failed/aborted/unwanted R&R-backup files from hard disk or usb-drive... (worked on windows XP)

1) start windows in safe mode

2) in folder options be sure that ALL files/folders are visible, even system and hidden files

3) find the folder named "RRbackups" using the console

4) this folder will be tagged with attributes "s", "h" and "r" (meaning System File, Hidden and Read-Only)

5) remove these tags using the dos command "attrib -s -h -r RRbackups /S /D"

(at least the "-s" and "-r" have to be used simultaneously, because they were set that way)

6) right-click on the RRbackups-folder should now permit editing properties.

In the advanced options of the security pane, permissions and ownership of this folder have to be set to the

account one is locked in with.

7) now one should be able to remove the folder either using commandline or explorer

at least his worked out for me getting rid of  failed R&R backups without having the appropriate version of R&R installed.

best regards

Message Edited by van_Houten on 12-14-2008 06:44 AM

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals