Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ran23
802.11n
Views: 1,197
Message 1 of 8

T61 docking station worth it?

I see used docking stations for T61 for sale. Can't tell if they have additional fans or any other goodies? If my desktop (XP) fails, this laptop will take it's place.   Montior , Keyboard, mouse and printer.  Additinal USBs is the main reason.

I remember some docking stations had fans to help cool the laptop?

northpike
Punch Card
Views: 1,163
Message 2 of 8

Re: T61 docking station worth it?

I'll throw in my  two cents on this one.  I have both the 2505 and 2504 docks.  I much prefer the 2504's because they have a DVI video and a separate audio output that the 2505 doesn't,  besides they both sell for about the same used.  The DVI output allows a digital video signal that hooks up directly to a monitor with same or I use a DVI to HDMI cable to hook up to a HDMI port.  I have speakers already hooked up to the audio and the mouse and keyboard hooked to the USB ports on the dock, and a dedicated, to the dock, power adapter.  This allows me to plug in the laptop, power up and everthing boots up without even having to raise the laptop lid by setting up the video to go to the monitor screen.   I have them set up in multiple locations so can move my laptop easily to areas where I want to use it for:  music, internet, videos, etc.  These docks are readily available and inexpensive.

As far as heat both docks are designed to raise the laptop off the surface and have venting to allow air to go underneath the fan area as well as air vents in the upper corner where the fan is located.  I am not sure how effective this is but it does seem to be a well thought out design so I am sure it does some good but probably not enough to prevent the well documented NVIDIA issue.  I have both laps with the Intel gpu and NVIDIA and none have failed so far.

I am running Windows 7 on all my laps and my setups work great for me by having the docks and all peripherals in multiple locations that I use so that I just need to plug in the lap,  it is the same to me as having a desktop that is very portable and, for me, at today's prices it is well worth the cost.

ran23
802.11n
Views: 1,155
Message 3 of 8

Thanks, my T61/Win 7 may take the place of a aging XP Desktop.   Not sure if you meant that it had 2 monitor outputs?  Just got another 20" widescreen from a neighbor, thought it was bad on her Win 10 PC.  I will look up the 2504.  

northpike
Punch Card
Views: 1,151
Message 4 of 8

The 2504 has a DVI (digital) and a VGA (analog) while the 2505 has only the VGA, of course the laptop itself has a VGA. Using the DVI gives somewhat improved video. Also I forgot to mention neither dock has a separate fan, only venting that aids the internal laptop fan.
ran23
802.11n
Views: 1,149
Message 5 of 8

Good to know.   Years ago I saw a laptop station that had a fan, and I thought that was so cool.  thanks!

ran23
802.11n
Views: 1,103
Message 6 of 8

I doubt if all docks use the same key, if you get a chance, could I have the key number?

northpike
Punch Card
Views: 1,099
Message 7 of 8

The 2504's I have all came with a lock, however there are thousands of different key combinations.
When you buy them used some come with a key or keys some do not.  Some of the eight 2504's I  bought
came with keys and frankly I never use the keys, they usually get taped to the bottom of the dock
and forgotten.   The lock provides very little security in that it is mostly plastic and a thief could easily
get it off or take the whole thing if they wanted it.  I believe the locks were mostly for an office setting to
prevent the laptop from being easily taken off a desk.

A caution, on one of the docks I bought the key could only be removed in the locked position.  I think the lock was
configured that way by the company to prevent someone without a key from using that docking station.  I could
not figure out how to change it so I have to leave the key in the lock because the laptop can not be docked with
the dock in the locked position. If I had not gotten a key with it that dock could not be used.  Some sellers will say
no key but the dock is unlocked, so if the dock comes without keys make sure it comes unlocked. All the docks that came without keys were unlocked or the ones with keys the key could be taken out in either the locked or unlocked position so I can remove the key, tape it to the bottom and forget it.

ran23
802.11n
Views: 1,096
Message 8 of 8

thanks, if I can fix the Update failure on my T61, I will get a dock.

Top Kudoed Authors