Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sheapuppy
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 660
Message 1 of 6

T61 failed Nvidia GPU motherboard to Intel GPU motherboard swap in 2018

I have a T61 15.4" widescreen Machine Type 6457 with the infamous NVIDIA GPU issue.  I thought it had "died" a few years back and had been sitting in my basement until recently when I decided to work on it.  As expected there is the usual green/ yellow vertical lines on the LCD display.  That said, when I plugged in an external monitor using the VGA output, the output is correct.  So my question is: do I really have just a bad GPU or is it the LCD display also dead?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 654
Message 2 of 6

Re: T61 failed Nvidia GPU motherboard to Intel GPU motherboard swap in 2018

There is no way to know without testing.  There are separate connections from the video controller for the LCD and for the external monitor.  With a GPU failure, either or both could be bad.  The only way to be certain is to try a different motherboard or panel.  If the entire width has lines, it is more likely to be the GPU.  One thing to try is to press lightly on the LCD bezel at the point where the lines start.  If the lines change, the panel is more likely to be the problem.  As I said, the only sure way is to swap something.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
sheapuppy
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 641
Message 3 of 6

Thanks Rick.  I'll try your suggestion and keep you updated.  I've also learned that there are multiple mobo replacement options: part 42W7876 and 44C3928.  Do you know if either one of these would be compatible with my T61 6457 model?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 627
Message 4 of 6

42w7876 is compatible with a 15.4" T61, but it is also an nVIDIA board.  I cannot find anything about 44C3928, but it is in the series of numbers used by later R61 and T61 that also support Penryn CPUs.  Be careful.  R61 and T61 boards are similar but different on 15.4" systems.  T61 boards come in 3 sizes - 14.1" tall, 14.1 widescreen and 15.4".  The boards are all different. 

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

sheapuppy
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 611
Message 5 of 6

Thanks Rich! I'll definitely stay away from the replacement NVIDIA board.  In reading other forums, I also read that some hard die techies have taken out the motherboard out and "baked" it in an oven for 9-10 minutes.  Apparently the soldering joints issue is fixed--do you have any experience with this? 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 603
Message 6 of 6

Yes.  I also have a quartz preheater and a rework station, which can do a better job than an oven.  I could never get lasting repairs.  I could often/usually get the machine to start without error, but the repair tended to fail quickly.

Rich

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals