Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amitkrmalik
Paper Tape
Views: 621
Message 1 of 2

T61: fingerprint device could not be initialized

I had configured my fingure print device a long back and was working fine. all of a sudden it has some issue's with it. while at the windows logon screen. i always see the device is not detected.

If i boot the notebook and reboot it again, i find the device detected and working fine. This is real strange observation.

let me know how to debug/ work out this issue.

Has any one faced the same issue and have a work around for this.

Thanks in advance

--amit

AGoodSolution
802.11n
Views: 601
Message 2 of 2

Re: T61: fingerprint device could not be initialized

Assuming you have the latest BIOS and latest compatible version of ThinkVantage Fingerprint software, we've witnessed intermittent issues when users begin tweak their BIOS and enable non existent parallel ports or tamper with the PCI management settings, the issue with the reader malfunctioning then woking after a restart has been caused XP detecting previously disabled serial ports and InfraRed reader that actually conflicts with the internal biometric device.

Rebooting can but now always reenable the fingerprint reader since XP realizes the conflict and "soft" disables the newly BIOS enabled IR,  SerialPort or Parallel port.

A quick troubleshooting method is reset the BIOS to all defaults while taking note of whether the IR, Serial, or Parallel port is enabled in your default BIOS profile then reboot.

This method works for us 100% of the time since we've never experienced a failed finger sensor in our inventory  and resetting the BIOS along with wagging our finger at the end user has effectively solved this issue.

------------------
Don't just sit there, take a second and use the Kudo's button to compliment the people who help you.
------------------

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals