Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zifnab966
What's DOS?
Views: 3,021
Message 1 of 10

T61 grinding fan

I have a T61 7658 CTO, and the fan has been making more and more noise as time has gone by.  It started as a light clicking while the fan is running, and now it makes a fairly loud grinding noise.  I'm well out of warranty, so that's not an option.  Does anyone know if there's a way I can fix this, or do I need to replace the fan?  If I do need to replace the fan, any idea where I can get one?
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 3,017
Message 2 of 10

Re: T61 grinding fan

Bearing on the fan is properly running out of lubrication. Someone say, if you pull on the fan itself, it should pop off, which allows you add some high quality bearing oil/grease. I never tried this myself, so i don't know whether this will actually works. 

If worst comes to worst, just replace the fan yourself, you can source one from ebay for around 70 to 100 USD.  

Message Edited by lead_org on 04-05-2009 07:54 PM
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
cow
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,997
Message 3 of 10

i had a T40 2373 and i have the exact same problem as u r computer(start with clicking sound on the fan then the grinding noise) ...i am just wonder if u r computer works with the new lubrication on? great apprecated if u can reply because i hate to give the money to the lenovo dealer when i can do it myself...
Cow
Thinpad T40 + X100e(athlon Dual core L335, window 7 home premium)
Views: 2,983
Message 4 of 10

@cow, you can buy the fan from ebay and install it yourself.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-46464

That is the installation manual which shows you how to do it.  

Regards,

Jin Li

leeh795
Paper Tape
Views: 2,568
Message 5 of 10

Guys you are not alone, I have a T61 14.1" model as well and have the SAME FAN PROBLEM! It starts clicking and then it just it gets worse eventually.

I notice it gets pretty loud after it gets to a higher RPM and usually it is when i'm watching a video on youtube or anything that requires more power.

I have a thinkpad T61 14.1" intel integrated graphics

7658-CTO is the type. i'm sure anyone one with similiar specs has the same problem.
It is the ones with the RED/GREEN/BLUE emblem for IBM thinkpad logo.

I think these fans are defective and should be replaced by manufacturer, these are steps for lenovo to take if they want my trust in the future. I know other manufacterers like sony have extended customer warranties to fix fan issues with "toshiba" CPU fans (told by repairman). 

sony link

I recently swapped the fan out myself and replaced it with a newer model's and everything is fine now.
I want people who have this problem to share and speak up.

Also the re-greasing method only works temporarily -- the grease will eventually dry out again.

Views: 2,542
Message 6 of 10

if you have the IBM thinkpad logo T61 it means it was produced before 2008, also the Sony warranty was only extended 12 months on top of the 12 months standard warranty period. Many T61 had 3 years warranty.

Furthermore, just because the fan for the Sony laptop exhibited this problem, does not mean the Toshiba fan for the thinkpads is the same defective unit that uses the same design.

Toshiba fans are used quite commonly in laptops, due to it pioneering the heatsink heatpipe design for consumer electronics. 

Most fans would start to wear out after around 3 years of use, there is only so much life expectancy in these spinning parts. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Maksym_Kozub
Punch Card
Views: 2,530
Message 7 of 10

I had the same problem with my T61 (8898-6DG), and finally got the fan replaced by an authorized service center. (I did not have to pay for it., since my T61 s still under its 3-year warranty. However, it took a while before the fan arrived: Ukrainian service centers have big problems sometimes with getting the spare parts through Ukrainian customs.)

Somebody from that service center told me that many people have had the same problem over the rrecent months, with their T61 laptops being less than 2 years old. The engineer believes that a new modification of the fan was introduced at some point, with some design or production problem resulting in this early apearance of noise in a lot of those fans. It seems like those fans are a bit less durable than the fans used in earlier ThinkPads.

--
T61 8898-6DG (UZ26DRT), Advanced Mini Dock; Windows XP Professional SP3 Russian
Views: 2,516
Message 8 of 10

the fan blades cross section and number of blades increased in the T61 laptop, so i guess there is more stress been placed on the motor/spindle of the fan as it spin, which could be one of the reason leading to earlier failure. But i don't think this problem is only limited to Toshiba per se, since the fan/heatsink design is done by the Lenovo engineering team, and these fan/heatsink producers only manufactures to that design specification. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Lester2010
What's DOS?
Views: 1,723
Message 9 of 10

My T61 (7658CTO) has had the same problem for more than a year. But my warranty is "1 year Depot Warranty". I guess mine is out of warranty.

I think the fan coming with T61 is definitely defective. I have a couple of Dells, and I have used them for longer time. They never had a problem with the fan.

Do you guys know where I can get a replacement fan at a reasonable price?

Thanks.

him-john
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,712
Message 10 of 10

I replaced the fan myself in my T60.  It was replaced once under the 3 year service warranty, but that had run out, and my computer was overheating. 

I found a replacement fan for only $14 from Advanced Computer Services, 800 South Broadway Street, Akron, OH 44311.  It might have been listed on Ebay.

The replacement part combined with the official service manual for the computer, which shows the order of disassembly to get the fan out (not an easy task with out the manual) and I was able to do it well. 

I found that the heat sink has several points that it draws heat from, not just the main processor chip.  There is an paste of sorts which helps make the thermal connection to each point.  In my case, there was still a plastic film over the thermal paste on the two secondary points.... that's right, plastic which would insulate the heat sink, and prevent it from working properly.  The repair work that was done a couple years ago was obviously done poorly.

Top Kudoed Authors