11-12-2011 06:22 AM
Hi It was suggested to me to start a new thread.
I have a T61, the harddisk crashed so i needed to make a new install
I have a XP service pack 2 CD that I used for the install
I found another thread and identified the device that is causing the problem
In the other thread I found a potential solution see below
there are a number of options available to us, but first try this...
launch regedit, look for and delete the following key:
uninstall the soundmax software via add/remove programs and also uninstall the soundmax driver via the device manager (don't restart yet)
to extract the files, which will end up at C:\Drivers\WXP\OSFIXES
using windows explorer, goto C:\Drivers\WXP\OSFIXES\WXPUP\OSDC01WW\XPSP2
you should see the MS UAA update (KB888111) for XP SP2 (which should also work on SP3)
use a utiliy like 7-Zip to extract the archive from 888111US.exe
after extraction, locate the 'commonfiles' folder
you'll see the HDA driver files in there
goto device manager, locate the PCI device under Other devices
right-click, update driver, click install from list or specific location, then browse to the commonfiles folder where you just extracted the HDA drivers, and press Next.
assuming the unknown PCI device got updated with the HDA drivers, then restart the system, and reinstall the soundmax software
i think you can also run setup.exe in the C:\Drivers\WXP\OSFIXES directory to install ALL of the XP update modules, including KB888111, but i think you'll still need to delete the registry key (see above).
I could not find that key however,
Another option was suggested
or also try:
1. Remove/uninstall the unknown PCI device under the Other devices tree
2. Download from Microsoft the KB835221 hotfix and install it
3. Restart the system, and XP should automatically detect the HDA device
4. Reinstall the SoundMAX software/drivers
That did not work either
Maybe somebody can take me through step by step ?
11-12-2011 07:29 AM
Great thing, to describe it step by step. There are very often user, who have that problem and it is not very easy to solve it if things are in a real mess.
My way unter Windows XP just is annother one and so i never need to perform similar "mental acrobatics":
- install Windows XP with slipstreamed XP Service Pack 1 or 2
- install Microsoft .NET Framework 2
- install Windows XP Service Pack 3
- install and configure Wireless Lan
- perform *all* Windows updates excluded .NET Framework 3 and higher
- install manually Intel Chipset, ACPI-PM-driver, Hotkey and then the other drivers
- install modem driver previous to the audio driver - audio always worked for me.
11-13-2011 11:08 PM - edited 11-13-2011 11:08 PM
In the Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 timeframe, Microsoft implented a new standard for how audio devices work, called Universal Audio Architecture, which was designed to solve several problems for supporting sound in the operating system. Audio chip manufacturers rallied around the new standard, as it made their lives easier, and updated the various device drivers that they supported under Windows XP, accordingly.
As Mornsgrans noted, a separate hotfix is available from Microsoft to add support for UAA, however, it would probably be a good idea to just install Service Pack 3, since it contains all sort of additional security and reliability improvements for Windows XP. After that is done, you should be able to install Lenovo's audio device drivers, and sound should then work on the ThinkPad T61 as expected.