Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Community Spotlight

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

Check out the ThinkPad Time Machine
Visit the Community Spotlight Blog
Windows  10

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Paper Tape
0 Kudos

T61 nvidia problems

Hi All,

A few sessions ago, I started getting some random multi-color pixels on the screen at boot.  During some boots, I'd get colored patterns on the screen briefly.  Then, last night, the machine froze on me.  It was late so I just powered down and went to bed.

This morning, the T61 would not competely boot into Linux or Windows.  After multiple attempts on both operating systems, I went into the Linux boot menu and booted up in safe video (lo-res) mode.  It's been operating over 6 hours in this mode ok.

I'm thinking the Nvidia 140 card is bad.  Is this something I could replace myself or is this a depot-only repair?

Bit Torrent
0 Kudos

Re: T61 nvidia problems

Sorry you're having this trouble, it is a well known issue. Unfortunately the only real solution is to replace the system board. 

If you have a warranty on the unit, then send it in ASAP, Lenovo will replace your board. If the unit is out of warranty, then I may be able to help you with either a used board, or a reasonably priced replacement laptop. Send me a PM if you'd like to discuss your alternatives.

I have a guide I'm designing to deal with this specific problem, since the cost to replace a board from Lenovo is about $575, which is more then the units resale value. Don't feel all is lost though, there are less costly aoternatives and the real beauty of a thinkpad is the availability of replacement parts. 

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 4gb ram...ThinkPad A-31 (1.9ghz P4 1.5gb ram)