Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
Message 1 of 4 (670 Views)

T61 will not post or beep

My T61 will not post or beep.  Please help.

I recently update T61 - 7659-12U with Middleton BIOS and T8300 CPU.  I also cleaned fan during the process.  Everything worked well for a few days but died completely without any warning.

Turning power on without battery. the battery light will turn on momentarily and the AC power green light remains on.  No other signs of life (no other lights, no fan, no beeps, no disk movement).  I have tried pressing power button 10x and removing CMOS batter tricks.

What do the experts recommend?

As a last resort If I have to replace the motherboard, what should I look for? Thanks in advance.

Bit Torrent
Message 2 of 4 (642 Views)

Re: T61 will not post or beep

If you remove the ram it should beep when you power on, if not, then it's most likely a bad system board. 

Did you have any problems before you did the updates/repairs?

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
Fanfold Paper
Message 3 of 4 (628 Views)

Re: T61 will not post or beep

TuuS, laptop was working fine before and after the updates for at least a day. It died while sitting idle for several hours. I will remove memory and try to hear the beep. Thank for your help.
Fanfold Paper
Message 4 of 4 (621 Views)

Re: T61 will not post or beep *** resolved

I am happy to report that my laptop is alive again.  While  disassembling the laptop for the Nth time, I became suspicious of the keyboard especially the small, delicate connector plug.  So I tried using another keyboard from a broken T60.  Voila, it worked!

Thanks for TuuS for suggesting I remove the memory.  That suggestion led me to suspect the keyboard connector.

Happy holidays to all.