Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mzypt
Paper Tape
Views: 4,259
Message 1 of 14

T61 won't boot up

Hi...before dumping the laptop to the garbage bin just another try if anyone has ideas to try. 

Yesterday I decided to upgrade the T61 XP to WIN7...everything was working just fine and upgrade was successfull. During the process the T61 needed to restart few times.

Later I installed several other programs..like antivirus etc. the laptop needed another restart. This time it didn't start right away. I pressesd the powerbutton on and off. Battery LED lit all the time but capslock and numlock blinked just once and then nothing. The CPU fan was running slightly. But that's about it...

However..after few tries I got it back. The Lenovo logo appeared on screen and it booted up. So I kind of forgot the whole thing.

But later that evening I restarted it again..or actually I think I just closed the lid and it went to stand by..the same happened..except this time it NEVER booted up again. 

So..mobo is gone? But how it can just break like that without any warning. It has worked fine for 3-4years althought I haven't used it for few months.

TuuS
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,255
Message 2 of 14

Re: T61 won't boot up

I'll be glad to help, I do what I can to help T61 owners by preparing guides and finding sources for economical replacement parts, or if you're not interested if fixing it, I would be willing to pay a fair salvage value for it so others can benefit from any serviceable parts it may have.

For starters, can you please describe in complete detail exactly what you did to it, and why. Be as detailed as possible. For example, you say you upgraded your operating system, but did you reformat the drive, or install overtop of your existing OS, in a separate partition?  and does the system post at all? can you load the bios screen?  or is it completely dead.

If it's completely dead and won't respond at all, try to see if you can get it to beep by holding down a as many keys as possible.. Also try removing battery and ac power then hold the power button for about a minute, then press it about ten times, holding it for several seconds each time, then when complete, try booting again. If it still fails, the next step I'd try is to remove your harddrive and optical drive and see if you can get it to post and boot into bios. If not, then I'd remove the palmrest and keyboard, then remove  your Ram and replace just one of the chips (if two are present). Try them one at a time and see if it boots. Next you can try removing the PCIe cards. They rarely go bad, but it's easy enough to remove them for a test and any bad hardware could potentially prevent a boot.

Actually, if the unit sounds like it's booting now, but won't post, you might try an external monitor before you do any of this. I assumed you would have mentioned if you heard the normal soudns of it booting (harddrive activity), but lets not overlook the possibility of a bad display.

Lastly, if all else fails to get any change or results, then you probably have a bad system board. This isn't the end of the line though, I can help you find a replacement. A new/refurb board would probably cost more then the machine is worth, but used ones can be econimical to replace.

Before you reply, send me a private message with your full model number and serial number (don't post serial in the public forum), so I can lookup exactly what hardware your system has and advise you better. Also includ the date code that follows the serial. This could be significant as there are some known issues with machines built in certain time periods.

TuuS

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
Retired Guru
Views: 4,238
Message 3 of 14

put the windows 7 disc in the drive and power it on to see if it will boot to the disc if it does select repair

Did a member help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Regards,
GMAC
mzypt
Paper Tape
Views: 4,225
Message 4 of 14

First I must say that this is my old corporate laptop. Insted of returning it to IT department I decided to keep it as my personal PC. So if I can't fix it..then I'll just take it back.

Details about what I did...as I mentioned already I installed WIN7 from scrach. So reformat HDD etc. BUT the installation was successfull and the laptop worked nomally after the installation. Only after several restarts it started to show some signs of malfuction. Firts time I needed to push powerbuttos several times before "Leonovo" logo appeared but next time I  restarted it...NOTHING happened. The battery led lits and caps and numlock led lights after pressing the powerbutton, but thats about it.  The CPU gets warm if kept long "on" and I can hear fan running slowely.

I have tried all  HW tricks. Took all possible parts (PCI, memory, palmrest keyboard, battery) off one by one. ..still nothing.

Only time when laptop respods is when both memorycards are off...then it beebs  like this:

beeb.......beeb beeb beeb....beeb beeb beeb...beeb. 

Tried with external monitor without any results.

I could consider replacing the motherboard but I live in Brazil and customs is 60% so not worth paying it.

Thanks a lot,

Mark 

TuuS
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,221
Message 5 of 14

I'd say it's likely that your nVidia Graphics processor has failed. Your unit was build during the run of less reliable GPU chips, so returning it might be your best option. 

These are great models, but units build before August 2008 (as yours was) are less reliable.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,202
Message 6 of 14

Hello,

Have you tried making a bootable PC Doctor CD and using that to test the ThinkPad's hardware?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

mzypt
Paper Tape
Views: 4,196
Message 7 of 14

Hi,

I tried...but nothing appeared to the screen (#4)

Diagnostics procedure

1.Firmly connect the AC adapter to the target computer.
2. Make sure the computer has an optical drive installed.
3. Insert the PC-Doctor DOS CD into the optical drive and turn on the computer.
4. While either of the following messages is displayed at the lower left area of the screen, press the F12 key to display the boot menu:
-To interrupt normal startup, press the blue Access IBM button or the enter key.
-Press F12 to choose temporary boot device
-Press F1 for IBM BIOS Setup Utility
-Press F11 to invoke the IBM Product Recovery program
-Press F12 to choose temporary boot device
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,163
Message 8 of 14

Hello,

Maybe a bad CD burn?  Were you able to boot any other computers from the CD?  Have you tried using a third party program like Lightning UK's ImgBurn to create the CD?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

TuuS
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,159
Message 9 of 14

@goretsky wrote:

Hello,

Maybe a bad CD burn?  Were you able to boot any other computers from the CD?  Have you tried using a third party program like Lightning UK's ImgBurn to create the CD?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Forgive me for interruption, but you may have overlooked the fact that this unit won't even post, boot to bios, or anything else, so I doubt any disc, good or bad is going to boot, but I guess there is no harm in trying.

mzypt
Paper Tape
Views: 4,134
Message 10 of 14

No...since powering up the laptop doesn't do anything...the display id totally blank. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors