cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bleungzorz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,663
Message 1 of 14

T61P: UltraBay HDD Caddy disappears from computer after a few minutes! DRIVING ME NUTS

Okay, so I bought a new 96gb ssd for my boot drive, and it works great an all, but its a bit slow, so I thought that I would just buy one of those cd-bay replacement caddies and put a hard drive in there. It is detected, it does fit, and there is a led indicator that shows that its powered, but after maybe 5 minutes of continuous use (i.e. formatting, transferring files), it shuts off; disappears from the face of my computer saying anything transferred might not have saved correctly and I may have lost some data. However, I do notice two things, one is that it still spins (so there must be power, right?) and secondly the HDD works completely fine via USB.

There are then two solutions that I have found that get it back to being able to be detected (none of which last more than 5 minutes of use, so that doesn't solve the problem). One is to restart with the HDD out and plug it in when the computer is booted up. The other is to take it out, plug it into a SATA to USB adapter and access it, and put it back in the caddy and it will detect.

I'm pretty sure of the following: it is not because of power issues, as I can run it via usb it is not the hard drive; it works fine in the main hdd tray it is not because my ultrabay is broken; my CD-RW works fine

Here are my specs:

• Lenovo T61P Core2 Duo @ 2.4
  • Windows XP 32-bit 3gb ram
  • Kingston V+100 SSD @ 96gb
  • Fujitsu 160gb 5400 HDD(came with laptop)
  • eBay knockoff hdd caddy

In short, how do I test out if its my caddy, not some software/bios issue? I am pressed to afford a $50 real caddy to test as I've spent so much on the SSD already when the matter could be completely software/bios related...

Moderator Note: Edited subject to match content.

Former Employee
Views: 3,609
Message 2 of 14

Re: T61P: UltraBay HDD Caddy disappears from computer after a few minutes! DRIVING ME NUTS

hey bleungzorz,

only way i can see is that you test the knockoff on a different unit.

i do believe that when you bought the caddy from eBay the reseller did mention what laptops it is compatible with.

try it on those laptop and see if the same issue occurs.

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,593
Message 3 of 14

Re: T61P: UltraBay HDD Caddy disappears from computer after a few minutes! DRIVING ME NUTS

Hello,

Just to check, is the hard disk drive which is installed into the eBay knockoff HDD UltraBay adapter have a drive caddy between it and the UltraBay adapter to prevent the drive's logic board from coming into contact with the metal base of the UltraBay adapter?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Tpad-Howie
Punch Card
Views: 3,570
Message 4 of 14

Chances are your Chinese made ebay purchase is simply flawed.  I have the genuine IBM/Lenovo HDD adapter for my T61p and never had any problems.  I have tried ebay to get same type part of T510 (due to Lenovo still not manufaturing a caddy that fits new T series without gaps) and found the quality control in these cheap knockoffs to be HORRIBLE.

1) The T61 caddy needs to internally convert SATA drive to IDE connection (logic circuit) - I wouldn't trust no-brand knockoffs in this department.  It could be completely a bad circuitry issue.

2) The knockoffs tend to be [crude] copies of original that was put in a mold, and new 'copies' made from mold.  Their tolerances are usually OFF.  I could not even insert a drive into SATA connector of an ebay-purchased knockoff because the connector was so far off SATA design spec.  Your caddy could be off in size or contact point in some critical area.

3) It's hit or miss etc. with cheap knockoffs.  Usually the seller wants to do anything to avoid bad feedback on ebay and would be willing to send you another one.  I would try that route, since you already paid for it.  But if you want to feel confident of a working caddy (and one made in a quality factory) spring for a genuine Lenovo item.

metalik
Punch Card
Views: 2,757
Message 5 of 14

Hi.

I'm facing some similar issues and I found this older thread so I'm trying to revive it and see if some ideas come up.

My situation: T61p with T9300, 2 x 2 GB Kingston DDR2, OCZ Agility 3 SSD as OS drive and one Seagate Momentus XT 500GB which I used to use as main disk, before the OCZ took over this role. I'm running multiple boot, WinXP32, Win7 and Linux but this situation is id throughout all OSes:

The Seagate HDD used to sit in the Ultrabay in a cheap "chinese" hdd caddy which I was suspecting to be the source of problems. I got my hand on a genuine Lenovo caddy and swapped the Seagate in the original one - still the problem remains.

Symptoms: in heavy usage (read and/or write) - Windows looses connectivity to the drive, obviously announcing that data might have been corrupted or unsaved. With a smaller (80GB) drive, if I put Windows is sleep, take the caddy out and put it back > wake up Windows again = it all works again for a while. Unfortunately, with the Momentus XT the solution is always a reboot.

So, it seems to be drive related and my basic assuption is power consumption. One more argument: in Windows, after this read/write event appears and hdd access is dead, I can eject the caddy. But, when reconnecting it, the small 80G hdd always starts (I can hear it spinning up). The Momentus XT does not - probably, the spin-up power requirement is higher than what this Ultrabay port is able to provide while OS is loaded. Upon a phisical reboot, it does power of the hybrid drive without problems ...

All idead and advice are welcome!

Regards,

W500 / T61p / T61 / R60
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,737
Message 6 of 14

Hello,

Have you verified that the T61p has the latest BIOS installed, as well as the Seagate Momentus XT 500GB having the latest firmware?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

TuuS
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,725
Message 7 of 14

Sounds like power manager might be shutting it down, try disabling all power management options and see if that changes anything.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
metalik
Punch Card
Views: 2,704
Message 8 of 14

No luck gents ...

this is what I tried, with two drives (the Seagate Momentus XT 500GB and a 80 GB Hitachi):

1, Device Manager > drive properties > policies > Optimised for quick removal instead of high performence. no changes.

2. Disabled PCI power management in Power Manager. However, as far as I know, the Ultrabay port connects via USB to the system, so I'll go to BIOS to see what power settings I have for USB.

As the wrror persisted for both drives, I'm inclining to believe it's either:

1. OS / driver related (all these tests were done under XP32 SP3.

2. Ultrabay port / hardware.

I'll keep trying for sulutions .... I'll repeat the tests under Win7 64bit this week, in the afternoons.

Best regards,

W500 / T61p / T61 / R60
metalik
Punch Card
Views: 2,679
Message 9 of 14

Guys,

one discovery: if I add the Ultrabay HDD to the boot order (keep it included in the boot order list but not actually booting from it) then the rate of "Delayed write failure" errors decreases a lot. I can actually do something with the drive inside - I even ran my vmware machines successfully from it.

So my question is: what would bring new in the picture, this "membership" of the ultrabay hdd in the boot list - from a BIOS / hardware perspective? Is access done in a different way? is the drive initialized in a different way?

I might not have enough experience with ThinkPads & Ultrabay drives to assess this .... so any advice is welcome.

best regards,

W500 / T61p / T61 / R60
TuuS
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,672
Message 10 of 14

The only thing I can think of is your system is powering down the drive in order to conserve power, then when you try to power it back up again to use, it's not spinning up fast enough and the errors are generated.

This is just a guess though, I haven't encountered this problem myself

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals