Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dfansler
Paper Tape
Views: 765
Message 1 of 3

T61P Vista SP2 no windows updates after Lenovo updates on fresh install

I am really flustrated with my T61P - a week ago it lost my user profile, so I installed a new hard drive and reloaded the OS (Vista Ultimate) from the recovery disks.  I have installed antivirus software, do all the MS updates, and then uninstalled all the ThinkAdvantage programs (except for Client Security).  Continuing to check for new Windows Updates works fine.  Then I installed ThinkAdvantage System Update - can still do Windows updates.  Run System Update, install 19 updates, reboot - Windows Updates no longer works!  I get the message "Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running/  You may need to restart your computer."  The service is running (I even restarted it from Admin tools).  Rebooting makes no difference.  I have reloaded the OS and updates about 6 times in the last week and always end up with this problem.  It does appear that since Windows Update was working before installing the Lenovo updates that there is a problem with the Lenovo updates.

Help would be appreciated.

David

Former Employee
Views: 742
Message 2 of 3

Re: T61P Vista SP2 no windows updates after Lenovo updates on fresh install

hey dfansler

curious to know which version of ThinkVantage System Update are you using ? Is it version 4.0.0046 ? If it isn't kindly download the latest version and install it.

if it is, could you uninstall it. set msconfig to startup windows item only before reinstalling it.

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
jbaaremartin
Token Ring
Views: 646
Message 3 of 3

Re: Fix T61P Vista SP2 & Win7 no windows updates after Lenovo updates on fresh install

Perhaps related...on my T61P with a working well instance of Win7 and a 500MB HD upgrade  after a Nov 5 2011 ThinkVantage System Update installation of the Intel Matrix Storage manager driver for Windows 32bit 8.9.2.1002, I received the "Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer." error message.  The successful fix is to go to Device Manager IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers section. Select Intel(R) ICH8M SATA AHCI Controller -2829 and open it up.  Go to the driver section and roll  back the driver to version 7.0.0.1013.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors