Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fanfold Paper
Message 1 of 5

T61p 15.4 inch Battery Replacement Question

I have read the posts concerning the battery recall, ran the .exe, and my battery does not qualify. I have a T61p that was purchased in September of 2007.  Laptop was almost always plugged in to AC power (didn't know this was stupid at the time) and experienced degradation in battery life, particularly in the last year.  Now, battery is in poor condition and does not charge beyond 5% (originally was holding at 33% ... performed a battery reset, and now stuck at 5%). 

T61p, 15.4 inch

Type: 6459-CTO

FRU: 42T4504

I am interested in getting a replacement, but not interested in paying $150 for it.  I have found a third party retailer, (free shipping!) ; however, want to know if the T61p 15.4 inch will be compatible with the battery from the 14-inch model.  The retailer lists compatability with the follwing FRUs: 42T5225, 42T5227, 42T5262, 42T5264, 42T5229, 41U3197, 42t5263, 42t5230

If anyone has a recommendation for a third-party retailer for the battery (or has had a particularly horrible / excellent experience with Mambate ...), I would greatly appreciate the advice.  A friend recommended this retailer as being in Brooklyn, NY (quick shipping) and it worked out for his Lenovo Thinkpad. 

Also, thoughts on 6-cell vs. 9-cell would be appreciated.  I'm concerned about the added weight.  The T61p 15.4 inch is already pretty heavy. 

Thank you for your time. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Message 2 of 5

Re: T61p 15.4 inch Battery Replacement Question

Those batteries look like the ones for the 14.1" wide-screen models and they will not fit.  You need the same battery as T60?R60 and the 14" non-wide-screen R61/T61.  (or, of course, 15.4" R61/T61)  I think all the aftermarket batteries are junk.  The cells are fine, but the electronics are poor.  Look at the Lenovo "scratch and dent" items.  If you use google and search for "Lenovo scratch and dent", you will get there.  Of course, the stock varies.  They are mostly open-box returns.

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Token Ring
Message 3 of 5

How many time have you run battery reset? Mine took 4 times before the recall test tool showed I qualify.

You need to install Power manager.

Once installed preform a reset

Lenovo Power Manager > Advanced > Battery Tab > Battery Maintenance > Preform Reset

I had to preform 4 resets before the battery biagnostic tool saw the bad battery and I was able to get a recall replacement. The reset build a log of the battery problem and the diagnostic tool uses that log to decide if you get a replacement.

Fanfold Paper
Message 4 of 5

I did one battery reset, and the percentage went from "fully charged" at 33% to 5% (i.e., it won't charge beyond 5% now).  Either way, my FRU part number isn't listed in the recall from what I can tell. Also, the battery is listed as in poor condition in power manager.  And I'm not within the 12 months ...

I'm worried that another battery reset could really kill the battery. 

Fanfold Paper
Message 5 of 5

I too have the same problem.  The battery just died, I thought it would be covered under my extended warranty, until I called today.  My grandson, age 14, is using this computer, and the deal was that he has to cover any expenses like this.  I hope IBM is reading these posts, because somehow my grandson has to come up with this money. 

Buy the way, has anyone looked to see where the battery is not covered by the extended warranty?  If so, please let me know.

Moderator edit: Removed member's email address to prevent it from being scooped up by the spam crawlers. Please use the private Message (PM) feature instead. Click on the member's name>Send this user a private message.

Top Kudoed Authors