Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Calabraches
Paper Tape
Views: 609
Message 1 of 5

T61p - Boot speed post Windows 10 migration

Hello,

Small question : I've an T61p, 1 TB SDD, 8Go Ram with dual boot Window / Linux. Until now Windows was Win 7x64 which upgraded to WIn 10x64. Now the boot time - i.e the time betwen the Lenovo initial screen which provides access to bios set up - and a appearance of GRUB dual boot menu is much longer (around 15sec). Is there any explanation about this phenonenon. Is it link to GRUB ? Or Window 10 ?

Advise are welcome - best regards

TuuS
Bit Torrent
Views: 589
Message 2 of 5

Re: T61p - Boot speed post Windows 10 migration

@Calabraches wrote:

Hello,

Small question : I've an T61p, 1 TB SDD, 8Go Ram with dual boot Window / Linux. Until now Windows was Win 7x64 which upgraded to WIn 10x64. Now the boot time - i.e the time betwen the Lenovo initial screen which provides access to bios set up - and a appearance of GRUB dual boot menu is much longer (around 15sec). Is there any explanation about this phenonenon. Is it link to GRUB ? Or Window 10 ?

Advise are welcome - best regards

In my opinion your windows 10 was more of a downgrade. You've went from a very stable operating system to one that by most reports is far less than stable and I suspect someting is failing to load and causing this delay and it could take monthos or years for all the driver issues to be resolved assuming they are ever resolved. Win 7 is the last version officially supported by your model and I'm not aware of any significant feature or performance benefit offered by windows 10 to consider it an "upgrade", but will reconsider if you can enlighten me.

My advice when asked about getting win10 while it's free is to install it on a separate drive then remove it for about a year to allow for the bugs to be worked out, or wait till the end of the free upgrade period before installing. Also consider that after this period is over and you need to reinstall your win10 to fix problems or replace a failed drive will this even be possible? or will you then have to pay for your "free" operating system. Perhaps MS will address this question that few are asking, but in my opinion this sounds more like a free trial than a free OS since I don't believe you are given a key needed to install win10 from scratch and the free upgrade option will expire in about 10 months or so.

If you want to diagnose which driver is hanging you should be able to log the boot session and any devices that show errors are probably logged.

Best of luck and be sure to share your findings.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
Calabraches
Paper Tape
Views: 574
Message 3 of 5

Hi TuuS,

Thanks for taking the time to answer. If I may what is weird is the following

The T61p (by the way fitted with a mothe board you kindly supplies after the nvidia gpu broke down) has a dual Window / ubuntu boot enabled throught grub.

The phenomenon is the following

a) start the T61p and the Lenovo start screen appears,

b) then come the grub boot screen

BUT What is interesting (at least for me) is that

- when you load Win10 and then shut down Win10 normally, by the next book the Lenovo start screen stay for about 15sec before the grub dual boot screen

- if you log into ubuntu session (through grub) the next time you start the computer the lenovo start screen last 2sec and the the grub dual boot screen appears.

It looks like Win10 is doing something on the boot or bios side (i don't know) which Ubuntu isn't. Odd.

I agree with you about the MS strategy,  but i hardly see how could it be a driver issue unless (what i start wondering this has something to do with the finger print reader) which interact with the bios or the UEFI business which the T61p does not support.

Best regards

TuuS
Bit Torrent
Views: 567
Message 4 of 5

@Calabraches wrote:

Hi TuuS,

The T61p (by the way fitted with a mother board you kindly supplied after the nvidia gpu broke down)

Well hellow my friend, I thought the name looked familiar. I've helped so many but it's nice everytime  see one of them.

As for windows 10, I've read a lot of issues with boot hangng. HP models seemed to be plagued wth it, even models certified to run win10. I think it has to do with the hardware/firmware related to hibernation, suspend, and perhaps security too. 

The finger print reader would be easy to elimnate, either unplug the cable attachng the palmrest whch will remove the FPR and the touchpad, or you can dsconnect the fpr from the cable wth  the very small connector on the printed circuit board that manually locks into place. Be careful you don't break it whne unplugging, but if you do I have several spares and can drop one in the mail, but if you only want to remove for a short test it would be best to just unplug the palmrest. The trackpoint will still work.

You might also want to dsable the security chip and remove all custom bios settings which s wise anytime an operating system is installed.

My guess is windows is unable to read the post about the boot condition of the laptop where the firmware would be informing the software if this was an automatic reboot, warm or cold start, a failed boot recovery, etc. Normally windows would read this info in a fraction of a second and display the appropriate messages or errors and continue boot, but if it doesn't understand the message/s it would likely hang until a timer expired then boot normally. 

These things are usually resolved with updates, but those first in line with new windows versions will tend to see a lot of this.

Unfortunately I haven't found any simple solution for you but the tests I recommended could help narrow down the cause.

Good Luck

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
JVoga
What's DOS?
Views: 449
Message 5 of 5

I have the same problem and I think it might have to do with the BIOS version. I use a custom BIOS based on 2.27 which undervolts the nvidia gpu so it runs cooler and with this version bootup slows down under Windows 10 but works great with windows 7. I went back to Windows 7 for this reason.

Top Kudoed Authors