Did you mean: 
Highlighted
congfucius
Punch Card
Views: 12,006
Message 1 of 56

T61p NVidia 570m Failure

Hi all,

I powered on my T61p like usual last night and the status lights came on like normal but nothing showed on the screen. I then unplugged the battery, left it out, plugged it back in, same thing. I reset the CMOS by unplugging the CMOS battery and leaving it alone for 10 hours, same thing. 

This morning, I took it to a local repair shop. There they took it in and diagnosed that it was a video card failure (nothing appears on an external monitor when it hooks up). The beeping sequence is (long, short, short) which according to the Lenovo website is a video card/motherboard problem (we already tried taking out/putting in the memory, same result). 

The video card is soldered onto the motherboard, so that when the 570m fails the mobo has to be replaced entirely. This costs $800. I spoke with a Lenovo rep today and was told that because it is out of warranty since August 2008, I will have to replace the motherboard myself. However, I spoke with NVidia today and they confirmed that the 570M used in the T61p is part of the defective batch of mobile video cards (which hit the news in late 2008) and that it is the manufacturer's (Lenovo's) responsibility to address this issue.

I'm hoping Tim or another admin can help with this issue.

Thank you.

-CG

techcafe
802.11n
Views: 11,954
Message 2 of 56

Re: T61p NVidia 570m Failure

have you seen Nvidia reports large quantities of defective chips  and  Nvidia chipsets are defective

doesn't exactly instill confidence in my T61p machines, as they have the Quadro FX570M GPU :~(

if your T61p has one of those defective GPUs, i'd absolutely insist that Lenovo replace the mainboard, as it likely would have long outlived the warranty, had it not been for a defective component (GPU).

congfucius
Punch Card
Views: 11,947
Message 3 of 56

Thanks for the links.  Yeah, I've read both of them before and I think Dell and other companies releasing BIOS updates that simply speed up the fan is an inadequate way of addressing the issue.

I hope Lenovo can do right in this case because I've stuck by them even though my first order (a T60p) was delayed two months, after which I  cancelled that order and purchased this T61p. The T61p experienced a 3.5-month delay, but I finally received it in August 2007. The hard drive died within the first couple months, and the battery died as part of the Sony recall within the first year. It's now at the 1.5 year mark and the graphics card died.

I really hope they do the right thing and replace the card- while billing NVidia for it. (NVidia is giving OEM manufacturers $200 for each defective GPU: link ). I'm willing to give Lenovo another chance and consider purchasing another Thinkpad a few years down the line.

techcafe
802.11n
Views: 11,935
Message 4 of 56

ime, it's usually the GPU or the display panel that dies prematurely... at least with the ThinkPads

either the GPU becomes damaged or semi-detached from the mainboard, due to heat stress (BGA solder joints weaken)

or the CCFL tubes (backlighting) fades to a lovely pinkish hue, particularly when cold (starting up), then eventually to black (dead)

you'd think these manufacturing glitches/engineering flaws would have been worked-out by now, but display failures of one kind or another are still over-represented among the common technical problems affecting thinkpad users

congfucius
Punch Card
Views: 11,933
Message 5 of 56

I believe it may have been a defective chip because it would crash or freeze during 3D games (e.g. Dawn of War, Team Fortress 2, etc.)

I don't think it's the CCFL tubes though because I never saw a pinkish hue before it died.

techcafe
802.11n
Views: 11,931
Message 6 of 56

oh yeah, in your case, most definitely a faulty GPU... the display panel is probably fine

the entire mainboard will have to be replaced, since the GPU is not socketed, but soldered in place, and the labour involved to de-solder and replace a BGA-mounted ASIC costs more than simply swapping the entire mainboard

Former Administrator
Views: 11,715
Message 7 of 56

Congfucious,

You seem to be descibing several un-related issues.   The first issue does sound like some kind of hardware failure in the video subsystem - GPU or otherwise.   In your later posts, you reference system issues while gaming...

The T61p issue where some systems could experience symptoms where the unit would hang or crash when two dimms were installed, AND the system was running 3D games or other 3D graphic intensive applications has nothing to do with the publicized nVidia issues.

The issue in those cases were found to be a tolerance issue on some of the planars, and was resolved through changing the value of a discrete resistor component on the system board.  This work would be done in controlled environment, so in the field, the system boards were replaced with versions that had the update.

Generally, normal warranty terms apply on these types of repairs.   

If you have been experiencing these symptoms while under warranty, and previously made inquiries trying to get them addressed, please send me a PM with your contact information and system type and serial number.

I'll see what can be done to help out.

Mark

Message Edited by Mark_Lenovo on 02-17-2009 10:18 AM
Thunderstorm
Paper Tape
Views: 11,213
Message 8 of 56

Hi Mark,

I left to you a PM. Plz give me respond ASAP! Thank you !

Yao

Bei337
Punch Card
Views: 11,087
Message 9 of 56

Hi OP, 

What did you end up doing with this problem?

At least two other t61p nVidia 570m users and I are having the same problem at this very moment.  I think we have all determined that it's the GPU problem.  One of the users I mentioned and I are out of warranty since last September, so it'll cost us up to however much a planar replacement costs...but I think Lenovo could do something to help since it is a known issue as the links pointed out in the posts above.

Let us know, thanks! 

Former Administrator
Views: 11,032
Message 10 of 56

All,

We should continue to look at exceptions with an open mind, but I'd really like to suggest that it may be a mistake to look at several members posting similar high level symptoms and concluding that it is a "known" problem because someone else has described a similar experience.

We have shipped tens of thousands of these units.   One would really need to do full failure analysis to see if the same component failed and that it failed in the same way before concluding a pattern.

Best regards,

Mark

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals