Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Doughj3
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,665
Message 1 of 10

T61p Sound Gone

Sometime between Yesterday and Today, my sound has gone missing. There is no icon on the system tray. When I go to control panel --> sound, it tells me no audio device is present. Device Manager doesn't show anything as missing drivers or disabled (no red x's, no yellow ?'s). I have tried reinstalling the audio driver from lenovo's website, no good. I have tried system restore, didn't help. 

Why don't I have sound? 

lyvwhyr
802.11n
Views: 2,653
Message 2 of 10

Re: T61p Sound Gone

Out of curiousity do you have XP and have updated your system to Service pack 3 lately. You can check this by right clicking "My Computer" in the start menu and going to "Properties"
Doughj3
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,649
Message 3 of 10

I do use XP with SP3, but I have been doing so for the past four months without issue.
phgregoire
Paper Tape
Views: 2,628
Message 4 of 10

Re: T61p Sound Gone and other subsystems too

I have the same kind of issue, not only with sound but also with other hardware subsystems, mainly mouse and keyboard, and I suspect also video (less often).

What happens is that when I restore out of sleep or hibernate, I randomly loose keyboard (unable to type password), or mouse (either trackpad or trackpoint or both), and/or sound. Once in a while the machine wakes up to a black screen, I suspect video driver is gone.

What I do is that I cycle Fn-F4 several times until I recover at least keyboard.

I have a T61p, on XP+SP3 (required to support a replacement SATA drive in the main bay). The problem did not start right after I installed SP3, only several months later. I have all thinkpad drivers and system updates at the latest level.

Anyone has the same kind of issues? It looks like the drivers are unable to reconnect with H/W (all drivers disabled or non-existent in HW Device mgr)

Is there a way to programatically reset the drivers (cmd line)? There are no reste options in device Mgr, and doing a 'detect H/W' has no effect...

Thanks for any clue or idea,

PhG

Doughj3
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,612
Message 5 of 10

You know, I also have that same problem with the black screen when starting up from hibernation, but I don't even get the "ThinkPad" BIOS/POST/CMOS/whatever you want to call it loading screen, so it must be beyond Windows then.

I'm wondering if something is just faulty hardware-wise in this thing.  

Doughj3
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,590
Message 6 of 10

Is there any way to get support from lenovo outside of these stupid forums?
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,588
Message 7 of 10

Doughj3 wrote:
Is there any way to get support from lenovo outside of these stupid forums?

While there are a few Lenovo employees roaming around in here helping out on a volunteer basis, this is not a dedicated, staffed support channel. Instead, this is designed to be a user-to-user support and discussion forum. You may or may not get an answer directly from one of the Lenovo employees as there are way more of us than them and all of them, even Mark, have full-time jobs doing other things.

If you need dedicated, staffed support, call the support line.

Worldwide Support Center phone list

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

lyvwhyr
802.11n
Views: 2,574
Message 8 of 10

Sorry for the delay.

Most likely cause is the UAA driver problem in SP3 if the audio device isn't listed in device manager.

You can double check by going to device manager under-> Sound, video and game controllers section

You shouldn't see -> SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio

You can check out this blog for more info and a solution here. Without a functioning UAA driver both the modem and audio device will not be usable. If you have a modem and that is not longer listed as well than that is usually a red flag for a malfunctioning UAA driver. 

P.S. If UAA driver is not installed you will not be able to see not install drivers for audio device nor modem. 

Message Edited by lyvwhyr on 02-18-2009 09:17 AM
phgregoire
Paper Tape
Views: 2,565
Message 9 of 10

Is there anything that would also apply to the kbd/trackpoint/touchpad random failure to resume issue?

Thanks,

Philippe

mixz1
Broadband 3G
Views: 2,535
Message 10 of 10

"Is there any way to get support from lenovo outside of these stupid forums?" 

I've done my best to help as many users as I could on this "stupid" forum, but the tone of your posting insures I won't help you. If you took the time to look, you would have already found the answer to your problem, as it has been dealt with here before. While I can understand your frustration, I can't understand the foolishness of using the language you used. This is, for the most part, a community of dedicated peers sharing experience and solutions that even the dedicated support staff at Lenovo at times misses. I think you owe this board an apology.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors