Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lead_org
Not applicable
Views: 21,951
Message 100 of 1,568

Re: T61 One long beep, two short beeps...and dead

@texudo wrote:
My T61p is dead with the GPU problem, I have bought it from 10/2007, and it's already out warranty I decided go to the Lenovo service center in my country for replacing mainboard, and do you know how much they charge for this problem, 680 USD. It's too expensive, and I bring my laptop go home with the deadSmiley Sad. I want to know do Lenovo have policy for this problem?

you can buy an extended warranty on your laptop.... you will have to call up Lenovo customer service. This is currently cheapest way of fixing this issue. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Former Administrator
Views: 21,922
Message 101 of 1,568

Texudo,

I'm not sure when you took your system in for service?  Please let me know the date...  Can you also send me a private message with your system model & serial #, and your contact information?

All,

Effective immediately, if you experience the one long and two short beep codes previously discussed in this thread on a T61p model system, I would recommend that you contact service regardless of warranty status, go through problem determination with them and seek a system board replacement.

I believe you will find that service should address this specific issue, however normal warranty terms apply otherwise.

Best regards,

Mark

Former Administrator
Views: 13,446
Message 102 of 1,568

Re: T61p beeps 1 long and 2 shorts with a blank screen when booting

rmplima,

Do you have a T61p model system with dedicated Nvidia GPU or a T61 model with integrated intel graphics?

Can you send me a PM with your specifics - MT & Serial, contact information including name, address, phone, and when you contacted service.  Do you have a call record / case?

Best regards,

Mark

lead_org
Not applicable
Views: 21,880
Message 103 of 1,568

@Mark_Lenovo, does that mean Lenovo will offer the motherboard replacement free of charge even when it is out of warranty?

So does this offer also extend to normal T61 with nvidia GPU?

Regards,

Jin Li

sachafisher
Not applicable
Views: 17,759
Message 104 of 1,568

I am also curious about lead_org

lead_org
Not applicable
Views: 17,475
Message 105 of 1,568

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=TPAD-PWMA

if that don't work, try to extend the warranty of your laptop, have a look on the above link. 

Regards,

Jin Li

deejjoy
Not applicable
Views: 17,447
Message 106 of 1,568

i've had a similar problem back in 09 and after hearing rumors i would feel not so great about it.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T61-and-prior-T-series-ThinkPad/T61-won-t-boot/m-p/177477

LinYu
Not applicable
Views: 17,406
Message 107 of 1,568

Re: 3 beeps and good bye!...

A reply to myself... I guess! Smiley Tongue

I called for service and from the information I provided on the phone, the person I spoke to directed me to bring my machine to the nearest repair center.

Indeed, it turned out to be the System Board that had to be replaced.

Now, everything went smoothly and no reason for complaint on the quality of service provided. And, of course, I made it known, in writing.

So, I got one more problem solved with the kind of traditional great quality IBM got us all spoiled with. I wish I could say the same about the quality of the machines...

As I have stated several times in the past, I cannot help it but think that the reputation IBM deservedly earned for the great quality of its machines (and its customer service) is being seriously eroded by the attitude from Lenovo of seemingly trying to cash on IBM's reputation with not much consideration for backing it up on a continued path of similar quality.

I said it before and it keeps being corroborated by time: I own three IBM/Lenovo machines; one IBM A21 bought in 2001 (mostly left for the kids to play with); one IBM T42 acquired in 2004; and one Lenovo T61p purchased in 2007.

The 9-year old A21 NEVER required any kind of service and the only thing that gave up so far was the battery, no surprise on that one. Nothing else.

The T42 required a keyboard replacement, following a little accident that IBM (at the time) chose to honor as if it had been a regular breakdown. It also required a new battery about one year ago (original one lasted more than 4 years!).  Recently, one memory module had to be replaced and I elected to install a new fan kit because of some noises the old fan was sporadically making.

And finally, the A61:  First down, the original battery died suddenly, 14 months after purchase date; Mark was kind enough to get involved in my issue and had Lenovo send me a replacement battery "under warranty";  then, a couple of months later, my HD started malfunctioning and had to be replaced, thank God I had and extended warranty; now, a little over 2 years after purchase date, the mother board fails on me... Sheer luck I had bought a 3-year warranty extension... 

All these sicknesses happen on a relatively new machine, while my two "older" machines keep living their normal lives, apparently happy and oblivious of their step-sister shortcomings...

What gives? Of course, this is no exact science, but am I justified in suspecting, just suspecting  --  or do I seem to have good reasons to suspect  --  that Lenovo may be cutting a few corners for a buck?

Maybe not. I hope not. Not so much for the sake of the company, but because we, the customers, would be deprived of the quality machines we grew up used to rely on and enjoy. But if it is, it would be just sad!

This most recent problem with my machine, as signaled by three beeps upon booting, has been once again expeditiously repaired. But will Lenovo's reputation be able to withstand the apparent decline in product quality?

I hope so. Otherwise, as the three beeps are gone, the goodbye may be insinuating itself...

Cheers.

lead_org
Not applicable
Views: 17,404
Message 108 of 1,568

Re: 3 beeps and good bye!...

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T61-and-prior-T-series-ThinkPad/T61-One-long-beep-two-short-beeps-and-de...

have a read at Mark_lenovo's comments.

Your problem is covered under the free repair scheme for T61p, you should contact Lenovo service immediately. 

Regards,

Jin Li

deejjoy
Not applicable
Views: 17,402
Message 109 of 1,568

did anyone receive treatment about nvidia gpu problem? 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors