Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Message 70 of 1,568 (6,649 Views)

Re: T61p beeps 1 long and 2 shorts with a blank screen when booting

You can still extend warranty on out of warranty laptops. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Punch Card
Message 71 of 1,568 (6,629 Views)

lead_org wrote:

You can still extend warranty on out of warranty laptops. 

How? I tried on Lenovo's site and it does not offer any extensions for my out of warranty S/N

Blue Screen Again
Message 72 of 1,568 (6,615 Views)

I believe it'd be more expensive than if you had purchased warranty outright, however.

More disappointed with my choice every day.

Former Administrator
Message 73 of 1,568 (6,607 Views)

Dzik, TD-Linux

You can purchase a maintenance agreement after your warranty has expired - it's a post warranty, warranty.

Also, why don't you send me a PM wth your contact information and the system MT and serial.. I'll see what I can do to help you out...

I agree that service part prices don't seem to be in line with market value - when a board cost as much or more than a new comparable system.

T61Fan,

Sorry that you are disappointed... I'm not clear as to whether you had this failure as well?

Blue Screen Again
Message 74 of 1,568 (6,548 Views)

I have not experienced a failure yet, however, this is most likely a result of both my late purchase (2008) and my modified usage patterns to get more life out of this laptop before it fails. Upon reading of this issue in late 2008, I have turned Power Options to a less heat generating setup, turned the fan to maximum to prevent my system reaching high temperatures, and have put off using graphically intensive applications, all of which have reduced the usability of this laptop further than if I had gone with an Intel GPU or a manufacturer who extended warranty for nVidia chips.

As my system is relatively new (>24 Months), compared with the failure patterns we have seen (generally a bit after 2 years), the issue has had less time to manifest, however, due to the type of chip used, it will ultimately be unusable.

What I'm saying is, the laptop is currently usable, but not dependable.

Paper Tape
Message 75 of 1,568 (28,754 Views)

Re: T61 One long beep, two short beeps...and dead

this may sounds strange but it worked for me. My T61 fell victim to the one long, 2 short beeps issue 2 days ago. I read that it could either be the ram, motherboard or gpu. All I could really test was the ram, so I replaced it with new ram and still got the 3 beeps. I was convinced my computer was done for. I came across this random youtube clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIUcxyYUJPU&feature=response_watch) which offered a temporary solution. I was skeptical because it sounds friggin outrageous...but figured...what do I have to lose? My computer is dead anyway. I swapped my HD for an old 40gig that I wasn't using (just in case things went wrong) and tried the temp fix in the video. It worked! I don't know how long it will last...but my computer started and is working fine as of now. 

Summary of temporary fix:

1. Turn on notebook while plugged in to charger

2. cover heatsink and vents so that your comp overheats

3. Once the fan gets extremely loud...after about 40 mins turn it off (My computer shut down on me cuz it got too hot)

4. Wait till it cools down just a bit.

5. Power it on

6. Viola!

If anyone knows why this unorthodox method actually works...please tell me. I'm in awe. I can't understand how overheating a notebook could "fix" a motherboard of gpu problem. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Hope this helps

Best,

ucsblaw

Paper Tape
Message 76 of 1,568 (28,753 Views)

also....I realize I only have one post...and I don't come across as reputable. I posted here because I'm confused as to why it worked and thought I could also pass on some info. Hope this helps.

Microsoft MVP Contributor
Message 77 of 1,568 (28,710 Views)

Because the GPU failure is due to electromigration of the bump material (i.e. solder) used in the GPU, so overheating meant that the materials lost in the electromigration came back to the site where the solder material become disjointed. This is the only explanation for this behaviour, but one has to do some extensive research to found out whether this is the actual reason for what you are observing.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Paper Tape
Message 78 of 1,568 (28,581 Views)

Wow. Isn't this something that should have been "recalled" by either Lenovo or NVIDIA? I've had to "overheat" my laptop 3 times already just to get it running again. The first time I did it...I neglected to remove the battery...and now I get about 20 minutes life out of my 6-cell. 

Punch Card
Message 79 of 1,568 (6,866 Views)

hello who ever can solve this mass

I have a t61p and just few hours ago I opened my laptop while it was in sleep mode and it did not respond

So I tried reboot and same situation just happened, beeps 1 long and 2 shorts with a blank screen. OMG

I saw lots of people has the same experience and it seems there is no good solution such as recall

I am really pissed!!

MARK? what should I do? I bought my laptop on 12/2007 so there is no warranty, however it seems like there is definately defect on t61p's system. Why people should spend money to fix this?

Please help on this!! I dont want to lose my data in my hard drive as well as my laptop!!