Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mikazz
Paper Tape
Views: 360
Message 1 of 4

T61p : letter and number keys start working only after some time

Yesterday I spread some waters on my thinkpad keyboard and when I rebooted the mouse started to move randomly on the screen. I installed the UltraNav drivers and I decided to remove the keyboard (but it wasn't unplugged) and I waited the entire night to make sure it was dry.

When I booted the computer today I got the stuck 38 keys error. After my second attempt the error disappeared. When arrived to the login screen  the mouse was working fine(the touchpad and the trackpoint), however the letters and numbers keys wasn't workings at all(Keys like the arrows , enter and num lock were working). I waited something like 20 minutes and when I tried the keyboard, the keys were working. I dicovered that the keys are working only after some random amount of time after the windows vista login screen appear. It does the same when my thinkpad is turned on sleep mode, the keys are are working only after a random amount of time after the computer is awaken.

When I boot with an ArchLinux live cd, every keys are working. I'm wondering if replacing the keyboard could solve the problem :/ I was installing the UltraNav drivers ahen the accident arrived, I wondering if it could be a software issues too ? However I get the stuck 38 keys error when I boot some times.

Guru
Views: 350
Message 2 of 4

Re: T61p : letter and number keys start working only after some time

For how long did you leave it to dry after water was spilled on it?

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
Mikazz
Paper Tape
Views: 346
Message 3 of 4

Around 9 hours. I found that the problems was the hardware, more precisely the keyboard. I booted windows without the thinkpad keyboard and with  an usb keyboard and it worked perfectly.I keep receiving the stuck key 38 errors and I found this page:

I found this page: http://www.kawakami-ca.com/ibm_t2x/0210_errors/ 

If i'm right, the problem could be the left alt key ? I'm currently trying to clean the keyboard with a Q-Tips.

Mikazz
Paper Tape
Views: 344
Message 4 of 4

ok, I found the problems. Somehow after the water was spilled on the keyboard, the alt key was stuck making the use of any letters or numbers impossible. After the cleanup of the keyboard, the alt key started to work normaly and the problem is now fixed.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals