Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Message 1 of 8 (4,630 Views)

T61p loose hinge on repair... back ordered.

To any staff,

Long story short, the hinge on my Thinkpad T61p were getting loose (it was moving back and forth) and upon a quick serach, apparently it was a known issue on these laptops. As my warranty was nearing its end, I quickly called Lenovo to have this repaired. Because I was promised that this repair is going to be finished within 5-7 business days, I decided to go ahead and send it away depite that my major requires it 24/7. I've received a box next day and I sent it away on Jan 9th, 2008.

I called in today to see what's happening but this employee, who rather got really irritated that I called in, couldnt find my info for 30 mins. After finally finding my info, he mentioned that the hinge is backordered. I politely asked him when I can get the laptop back but he said it could take days.. weeks or possibly up to months. 

The sole reason why I sent this laptop for a repair was because they said the turnaround repair would be fast and I believed his word. It's quite dissapointing to hear these kind of delays in repair process when I need this laptop ASAP.

There are actually 2 ongoing cases regarding my laptop but none of them are being solved at the moment. The 6 cell battery, which just died a few days ago, was replaced by a 9 cell from Lenovo. I called about this issue as well and hopefully they can get this straightened out.

How long does it take for a "back ordered" parts to arrive at the depot? It's really hard to imagine how the depot would allow their parts to dimish before they reorder to avoid any delays in repair.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone can help me out here.

Thank you,

Don

Punch Card
Message 2 of 8 (4,606 Views)

Re: T61p loose hinge on repair... back ordered.

[ Edited ]
I called IBM again but no progress.. No one seems to be taking any responsibility about this matter.
Message Edited by don_lee103 on 01-14-2009 07:57 PM
Punch Card
Message 3 of 8 (4,574 Views)

I've made another call today. As I demanded ETA of my laptop from the repair, the representative told me to call this number directly to get more info. 905-316-7420. As expected, they did not answer my call or called me back upon leaving a message.
Punch Card
Message 4 of 8 (4,565 Views)

[ Edited ]

I actually found out that my motherboard is also defective.. (No wonder why it froze on me many times.)

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-69684

So I called Lenovo to see if they can replace the motherboard at the same time so I don't have to send it again. Another delightful employee (not) is trying in everyway to not honour the replacement... I'm speechless.

Message Edited by don_lee103 on 01-16-2009 01:44 AM
Punch Card
Message 5 of 8 (4,505 Views)

I called Lenovo again as I wanted to get my system board replaced. Fortunately, the manager was available for me to talk about the issue and he addressed this right away. He has sent a note to the manager at the service depot and hopefully this has solved everything...
Serial Port
Message 6 of 8 (4,283 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have the T61p also with the same problem with a 1" or more play in the hinge...

I have to schedule a return and I hope it's better than what you had...reading your experience was not re-assuring at all for a $2800 dollar laptop with 3 year depot service warranty.

Message Edited by ThinkP on 02-16-2009 06:32 PM

T61P - 6459-CTO - T7500 2.2Ghz - 4G DDR2 RAM - NV Quadro FX 570M 256mb - 160G 7200 rpm - WSXGA+ 15.4" - Vista Ultimate 32bit
Punch Card
Message 7 of 8 (4,279 Views)

[ Edited ]

Please... Please do not send your laptop away!

I did manage to get my laptop "fixed" (the word fixed is a very poor choice of words here...) through harassing many upper level managers but the quality of work was very poor. LCD casing was misaligned (And the casing no longer closes properly...), LCD screen is tilted to a certain angle, LCD main frame is no longer sticking to the LCD screen when I received the laptop.

All of these poor workmanship took 4-5 weeks @ the depot... despite that the CSR told me it will only take about a week. I always thought you can either go for a  quality and speed on repair but Lenovo seems have neither of these features. I don't know if I'll ever make any future purchases from Lenovo but if I do, I would definitely purchase the on site warranty. 

Message Edited by don_lee103 on 02-16-2009 02:40 PM
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 8 (3,956 Views)

hey guys, you actually do not have to call Lenovo to have the laptop repair. If i encourter any issue with any of my thinkpads, I usually just drop it off to the near by Lenovo authorized service center (depot).

Are you from Toronto? I recently have my hinge replaced (not more wobble) by Cycom Canada under Lenovo warranty. They are very professional, and done everything in 4 days. Their craftmanship is top quality, I can hardly tell the laptop was ever opened before (You can tell by the screws had been used), but the body is perfect. Just google Cycom Canada for address, highly recommeneded. 

IBM Thinkpad 600->X30->Lenovo Thinkpad X41t->T61p