Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team

Community Spotlight

Visit the Community Blog

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
zf
Fanfold Paper
0 Kudos

T61p resolution modes limited after update graphic driver

[ Edited ]

This is the first place I ask for help after searching solutions on Google without success.

System is 14" T61p, WinXP, graphic card is FX570M, I sometimes play quite old games, which run in low resolution modes like 800*600 or even 640*480(well, I am an old person...). it worked fine before I updated the latest driver (version 6.14.11.7874) few days ago, then I got several problems.

When I run game StarCraft, the game screen will appear only on upper left corner, like a quarter of the whole screen, and the cursor moves in that range as well, the rest of the screen is black. I looked up the Blizzard tech forum, it says select 640*480 display mode. I followed the steps: display properties -> advaced -> adapter -> list all modes -> select 640*480, then the entire screen goes black for few second and back to 1400*1050 like nothing happened.

Another game Diablo2 failed to launch due to DirectDraw error.

I am not dressing the problem with particular games, but they all point to the display issue. As everything worked fine before I update FX570M driver. It seems new driver no longer support 640 by 480 mode(any point from Nvidia?). I wonder someone can help me before I roll back the driver.

802.11n
0 Kudos

Re: T61p resolution modes limited after update graphic driver

Trying to diagnose drivers can become a black hole waste of time.

An alternative if you haven't already tried is using a legacy virtual machine then setting the VM into full screen.

I play StarCraft  and Rainbow6 on a Windows98 VM and avoid compability issues with hardware regardless of the system whether it is a desktop or notebook

------------------
Don't just sit there, take a second and use the Kudo's button to compliment the people who help you.
------------------
Token Ring
0 Kudos

All of my problems went away with the FX570M driver I got off Windows Update on 9/24. 

It gave me driver version 8.16.11.8694. All my directX problems went away.

zf
Fanfold Paper
0 Kudos

thanks for your advise AGoodSolution, but I think roll back graphic driver is easier than getting a VM.

zf
Fanfold Paper
0 Kudos

SouthPaw, is that a graphic driver version? I didn't find any begin with 8. What system are you using?

Token Ring
0 Kudos

Windows 7 Pro Gold. T61P 15.4"

Highlighted
zf
Fanfold Paper
0 Kudos

win 7... OK, maybe not everyone can catch Microsoft that quick. Anyway, I finally figured out a way to solve this problem:

go to Nvidia control panel -> manage costom resolutions -> creat a new resolution -> define pixels dimentions(e.g. 640x480) -> test it -> save profile. Now enjoy old games Smiley Happy